PDA

View Full Version : Small resolutions are shown, bigger resolutions not.

Copa
10-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Hi,

My problem (similar to http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1191 and http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1130 ):
The flat screen monitor plugged on the USB to DVI does not display resolutions like (the screen turns black/off): 1920x1080; 1680x1050; 1600x1200; 1440x900 but displays "lower" resolutions like: 1280x720; 1152x870;...;640x480.
Important: I used to get the screen working perfectly with the same hardware (nothing changed) one month ago. I did reinstall my laptop in the meanwhile.
The problem is that I cannot get the 1920x1080 resolution anymore. The screen of the monitor becomes black/off. Any idea why?

My configuration:
- 1 Laptop with XP home 32 bits + 2 identical flat screen monitors (max 1920x1080)
- one FS monitor is plugged on the "monitor out" VGA of the laptop and works perfect @ 1920x1080
- the other FS monitor is plugged on the "USB to DVI-19" with DVI. The device is plugged on a USB hub. The latter is plugged to the laptop.
- UGA USB 2.0 display adapter
- Displaylink Graphics 6.0.34689.0 & Displaylink Core 6.0.34621.0 software
- the USB to DVI monitor is used as extended. Main monitor is the laptop.
- All hardware was checked and is working properly. I run through http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896 and there is nothing wrong (my code is USB\VID_17E9&PID_0360)

A few points:
- identify my 3 screens with 1-2-3 makes the USB to DVI screen flatter on/off
- built-in screen autoajustment button shows: not available (the same other screen on the laptop "monitor out" works)
- when my USB to DVI screen is set at resolution 1920x1080, my situation looks exactly like:

@Wim or similar: please send me your email address to send the log if this one is requested.

Thank you.

Copa
10-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Up. Any idea anyone?

Copa
10-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Hi

Considering that the forum is one of the official tool for troubleshooting of displaylink devices, could it be possible to have an answer please (even a negative one)?

Thanks in advance.

Wim
11-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Sorry, this must have slipped past my forum radar...

If larger resolutions are not appearing, then is this is usually because your adapter is based on a chip that does not support a higher resolutions, therefore they are removed from the mode list.

If you post the logs, this should soon tell me where the issue is

Thanks

Wim

Copa
11-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi Wim,

First thank you for your reply. As I already had the display link device working on my pc with the same hardware/software configuration, this can't be the resolution as it was supported.

Presently the situation has badly evolved (without doing something special). The monitor connected to the display link remains black and although I have display link well installed, recognized and its service started, I have no DL icon at all in the systray. May be this fact is of any hint for you?

I have the log ready. Please read your private messages in this order.

Thanks,

Copa

Copa
11-18-2011, 06:24 PM
I solved the problem. I post the solution here in case somebody has the same problem.

The device DVI2USB was plugged on the USB hub on which my HP printer was also (USB) plugged. In the logs of the diagnostic tool for DVI2USB, there were a lot of entries about my printer. Thus I suspected an interference.

In order to have a clean and direct connection with the USB2DVI, I unplugged it (all without rebooting) from the USB hub and plugged it to a free USB port of my computer. Immediately windows started to work and stated that the installation of the DVI2USB was running. After about 30secs it was ended and my 3rd display worked properly at the desired resolution.

Short resume: plug your adaptor directly to your computer in a dedicated USB port and do not use any intermediate connection like USB hubs and co.

You're welcome.