PDA

View Full Version : Displaylink USB to DVI Blank Screen

systemcrash
08-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Hi There

We recently purchased a display link USB to DVI to allow a user to utilize a secondary monitor. For about a day the device worked perfectly and then when the user turned on the system the next morning the secondary monitor displayed nothing.

Windows still detected the monitor and the monitor was not operating in standby. It was just a blank screen.

I checked the resolutions and confirmed that they were not over the limits of the monitor.

I have removed and reinstalled the drivers, tried different usb ports and swopped the monitors to confirm that it was not a monitor fault. Both monitors are working perfectly fine.

I have updated the drivers and still no image, the only thing I have not tried is swopping out the actual USB to DVI unit, which looks to be the next step.

Any suggestions?

I have also attached the debug logs.

Thanks

Wim
08-26-2011, 05:28 AM
Hi

The logs look fine and the software looks like its doing what it should. Do you get an extended display in Windows that you can drag windows over to? I expect so, but you're just not seeing it on the screen.

I suspect a hardware problem here. Could you just run through this thread to check there is nothing else wrong:

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

Thanks

Wim

systemcrash
08-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi Wim

That is correct, it will drag across to the other screen but I don't see anything. We have also come to the conclusion that it is a hardware fault and have return the device to the supplier.

Thanks for the support

Gary

jonny
08-27-2011, 06:35 PM
It appears (from my own experience) and from several post in this forum that it is not uncommon that displaylink shows a blank (black) screen although it technically supports the screen (the screen is "present" in a way).
Why the screen appears blank is unknown to me. One can see that the screen is "present" by the fact the cursor is allowed to move into the screen.

I have adopted the procedure to disconnect the DVI connector from the USB displaylink adapter before I boot the computer (the USB connector is always connected). After the machine is fully booted and logged into, I reattach the DVI connector and then the screen on the displaylink'ed monitor appears correctly.

If I boot the machine with the DVI connector attached to the adapter, the mentioned monitor will invariably appear blank. Sometimes the picture will appear if I:
-disconnect the DVI connector
-disconnect the USB connector
-connect the USB connector
-connect the DVI connector
But this latter procedure does not always solve the problem. Booting without the DVI connector plugged into the adapter always provides the screen working correctly in the end.

The very same problem seems to concern all displaylink versions

Wim
08-30-2011, 08:32 AM
It appears (from my own experience) and from several post in this forum that it is not uncommon that displaylink shows a blank (black) screen although it technically supports the screen (the screen is "present" in a way).
Why the screen appears blank is unknown to me. One can see that the screen is "present" by the fact the cursor is allowed to move into the screen.

I have adopted the procedure to disconnect the DVI connector from the USB displaylink adapter before I boot the computer (the USB connector is always connected). After the machine is fully booted and logged into, I reattach the DVI connector and then the screen on the displaylink'ed monitor appears correctly.

If I boot the machine with the DVI connector attached to the adapter, the mentioned monitor will invariably appear blank. Sometimes the picture will appear if I:
-disconnect the DVI connector
-disconnect the USB connector
-connect the USB connector
-connect the DVI connector
But this latter procedure does not always solve the problem. Booting without the DVI connector plugged into the adapter always provides the screen working correctly in the end.

The very same problem seems to concern all displaylink versions

Yes, this can be caused by the adapter not booting properly. If you look at this thread and the details on PID_8060 at the bottom, I think you have this issue:

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

Wim

miguelrochefort
12-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I have the same exact issue.

I'm using the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13 with the Lenovo USB 3.0 dock. The screen is recognized, I can move windows and the cursor to the other screen, but it remains black.

I tried and read about everything on this forum, and nothing works. I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue. Could it be caused by the Intel HD Graphics 4000? Could it interfere with the HDMI output? I'm out of ideas.

tcs75
07-25-2016, 10:35 AM
bump... kicking up dust on this thread.

I'm having the exact same issue here with a Windows 7 Dell Latitude E5440 on a Targus ACP70EUZ port replicator/docking station.

Connected is a Dell Monitor that works fine on other computers (w/o dock).

I have two identical docking stations and on both the external display remains blank/black. Not impossible but very unlikely that this is a hardware issue on the docking stations.

The monitor LED is green (instead of yellow, which would mean no signal).

The external display is identified and its resolution adjustable in Windows 7 and I can move mouse and windows across the screens. However nothing would show on the external monitor.