PDA

View Full Version : BSOD in Windows 7 x64 via Parallels 6

steagle
08-23-2011, 06:03 AM
Same exact problem as reported in these threads ("the video memory manager has encountered a fatal error"):
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1555
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=100761

Running a MacBook Pro with OS 10.6.8, an AMD Radeon 6750M GPU, Parallels 6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and DL-195 drivers, all at the latest versions and updates in both operating systems as of last night.

Parallels said they contacted DL last year to discuss, but it seems from these threads and several others on the web that there has not been any real resolution to the problem. Parallels says the problem is with DL drivers, what does DL say? :P

I will be happy to provide dump files, if someone can tell me where to retrieve them on the Windows partition or if Parallels creates the dump.

Wim
08-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Hi

Yes, we are aware of this issue with Parallels, as our driver is not designed to be used in VM environments. this is due to the way is closely interacts with the primary graphics card.

We do intend to fix this, but it is a lot of work to support VMs, so its not a quick fix. We don't have a date for this at the moment.

Wim

steagle
08-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Hey Wim thanks for the feedback. Is there any workaround other than uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers? Maybe some way to disable them in Windows Services or something like that?

Wim
08-30-2011, 09:30 AM
No, I'm afraid that you cannot just disable the service as we integrate with the primary graphics driver. The only solution is to uninstall under Parallels.

Wim

eyework
02-04-2012, 08:06 AM
I am having the same BSOD. I would really love to be able to use my display link adapter with Win7 x64 and Parallels.

Has there been a driver update to fix this? Would upgrading to Parallels 7 help at all? I would greatly appreciate any help/update. Thanks!

Wim
02-06-2012, 04:57 PM
No, I'm afraid there is still no support for Parallels. We're currently focused on getting our USB 3.0 chip sets out and developing Windows 8 support.

Wim

ericstob
04-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Dear DisplayLink,

Is there any progress on this?

It is extremely painful for me to use your product when it crashes in Parallels! All you have to do is make it so I can disable rather than uninstall, and it would at least be tolerable.

If there is no commitment, and continues to be no commitment to support parallels, then I will need to recommend to my IT department that we stop purchasing DisplayLink components.

If nothing else how about open sourcing your driver so that we can fix the problem ourselves?? (and share the patch with the community)

No, I'm afraid there is still no support for Parallels. We're currently focused on getting our USB 3.0 chip sets out and developing Windows 8 support.

Wim

Jickelsen
08-17-2012, 02:11 PM
This is indeed an issue in Parallels 7 as well, and came as a horrible surprise after my fiasco with rotation in OS X (http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1901).

As a coder who works both in OS X, Windows under Parallels and sometimes in Bootcamp this is a showstopper for me. Had I known the technology would be this flaky I would never have bought a Displaylink monitor.

Please update us on this situation or I will have to start shining light on this issue and discourage others from purchasing Displaylink-enabled products.