PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Display black with 1px blue lines

viperwsu
08-07-2011, 02:39 AM
I have an Alienware M17x2 running Win7x64 with the main external monitor attached via HDMI-out. For a year I've had a USB-DVI device from IO Gear attached for a second monitor, which has worked perfectly. Recently I tried to add a USB-HDMI device (GUC2025H) for a third monitor. 75% of the time all I get is a black screen with vertical 1-pixel wide blue lines, about 1/4" apart. Sometimes I get a black screen with no lines, but the monitor is lit up like it has a connection.

I've tried different monitors, USB ports, HDMI cables, and USB cables. If I uninstall the DisplayLink software, reboot, and reinstall it, and then plug in the HDMI adapter first (before the DVI adapter) it'll work. Once the computer sleeps or reboots, though, I have to do it all over again. The DVI adapter always works.

When the HDMI monitor isn't working, I've checked the updated ATI Catalyst Control Center as well as Window's display resolution settings, and both detect all three monitors. I've checked the Device manager with the same result. I've also tried the Display Link software 5.4 from IO Gear, and 5.6 from here.

I attached the log files. Thanks for your help.

Wim
08-08-2011, 11:16 AM
This sounds like a hardware issue with the corruption seen on the display. Does it work again if you unplug all the cables from the adapter, then connect USB, then connect HDMI?

Wim

viperwsu
08-08-2011, 03:22 PM
From my initial troubleshooting when I received the adapter, it didn't help. I can try it again when I get home from work, but so far the only reliable fix is the complete uninstall and reinstall of the drivers. Once the computer has to re-detect the device, though, all bets are off.