PDA

View Full Version : screen works but goes blank on mouse over windows 7

iansane
08-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Hi,

I picked up a sabrent usb-DH88 video card at the local computer store. I tried installing on Ubuntu linux but it didn't work (just got a green screen and ended up messing up my other two screens and nvidia drivers trying to get it to work) but the community instructions for Ubuntu are about 2 distributions behind.

So then I decided to switch to windows 7 pro (dual boot system). Well, I downloaded the latest driver from the displaylink site and it works most of the time. The problem is, it seems as though something will make it start going black on me and after that, just hovering to that screen with the mouse will make it go black. I can then use the mouse or drag a window over the screen to make the desktop background appear again but in a few seconds it will go blank by it's self or if I go back to that screen with the mouse it will blank out.

After system restart it works correctly again for a while until something sets it off.

For example I was running photoshop using all 3 screens for the various dockable windows today and everything was working fine. Then when I opened firefox browser and dragged it over the sabrent usb screen it blanked out. From that point I had to move my Photoshop windows all off that screen because it kept blanking out when ever I tried to use any of those windows.

Anyone know of any known issues with win 7 for which there is a fix? Oh, and it's 32bit with 3Gig RAM, and a AMD Athalon x2 64 CPU, and evga7900 video card.

Thanks

Wim
08-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Could you try using Windows Aero mode, rather than Basic graphics mode, as this should solve the issue. It is known and we're working on it.

Wim

iansane
08-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks Wim, That seems to have fixed the issue. I tried firefox and photoshop and haven't seen a screen fliker or go blank yet. Strange that a more resource intensive theme would actually fix the issue. I had adjusted my system for best performance which as we know, makes it look more like windows 2000 since all the visual affects are turned off.

That's something I always do first thing is performance tweak my system because I don't care for the visual affects.

I'll be sure to check for updates so I can return to my dull boring but fast desktop in the future. But to be fair I have to consider that with a good graphics card the visual affects don't really slow down my system now like they used to on older PC's with onboard video.

Thanks again