Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.6 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Kevo

Default Apple Cinema Displays not working

I have two Apple Cinema Displays with ADC connectors. I have been using them on a MacBook Pro with an DVI to ADC adapter. This works fine when the display is connected directly to the laptop.

I bought an EVGA UV Plus 16 and have the latest drivers installed. It appears that the display is detected as it shows up in the display system pref with the correct name and native resolution. The display does not turn on though.

This occurs with both the 17 inch and the 22 inch Cinema Displays. These are the gray/clear displays not the aluminum ones.

Is there any way to get this working?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Pawel

What is the native resolution set on a display? (plug your display directly to the laptop to find out)

Thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Kevo

The 17" is 1024x768 native, and the 22" is 1600x1024 native.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Pawel

Please download the Mac DisplayLink debug tool from the website below, then gather the system information and upload the zip file.
This would give us more information as to what is wrong.

http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Kevo

Here is the info from the debug tool. This is for the 17" panel. Hope it helps.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (255.0 KB, 711 views)
Old 10-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Carlo
Mac Team

The logs show that the software is picking the same resolution described in the display's EDID. Nothing strange there, it's what I would expect to see.
But it's not working. We don't have those displays in house so I can't do much more than this.
I'd use a more recent DVI display to ensure that the adapter is working correctly from a hardware point of view.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
Kevo

I've been investigating the dvi to adc adapter that I'm using to try and find any useful info. I have not been able to detect anything unusual with the pinout. Everything that matches from the DVI to the ADC is connected exactly as you would expect. The extra stuff on the ADC is not connected as far as I can tell.

One thing I have noticed is that the display will not turn on when hot plugged to the computer. I have to tell the mac to detect the display. However, as soon as I disconnect the dvi plug the display turns off. At this point the computer still thinks the display is connected, and as soon as I plug it back in it turns back on.

So does that mean that the displaylink box is just not sending the same signal to the monitor? Is there a way to find out what it is sending?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
Kevo

I did hook the displaylink box up to an old vga monitor I have, and that worked fine.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
Kevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
The logs show that the software is picking the same resolution described in the display's EDID. Nothing strange there, it's what I would expect to see.
But it's not working. We don't have those displays in house so I can't do much more than this.
I did a little digging and found a shareware app called SwitchResX that allows some customization of display settings. I used it's EDID export feature to export the EDID for the monitor when it was hooked directly to the computer and when it was hooked to the displaylink box. The files turned out a little different. I've attached them in case they are helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: txt AppleStudioDisplay.txt (5.8 KB, 765 views)
File Type: txt AppleStudioDisplayLink.txt (4.0 KB, 709 views)
Old 10-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
Carlo
Mac Team

Thank you Kevo, yes this can be helpful, could be the EDID length. I will check with our EDID Guru.