Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
c152driver

Default Problem with DisplayLink Driver and Samsung Easy Settings Software

Product: Plugable USB 3.0 to HDMI / DVI Adapter

My configuration:
SAMSUNG NP700Z7C-S01US Laptop running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
This is an Nvidia Optimus machine with Intel integrated graphics and
an Nvidia 650M

After installing the DisplayLink driver, I get two identical crash
messages after logging in to Windows:

Quote:
"igfxext Module has stopped working"
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: igfxext.exe
Application Version: 8.15.10.2618
Application Timestamp: 4f064ec0
Fault Module Name: StackHash_c834
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec4aa8e
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 00000000000c40f2
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: c834
Additional Information 2: c834bf9b688dbb068c29833c91733e5f
Additional Information 3: 54d4
Additional Information 4: 54d4d392faef445891ef0e9308df5716
After some troubleshooting, I determined that this error was occurring
when the Samsung Easy Settings 1.1.1.2 software was starting. This is
the software that enables various keyboard shortcuts, such as
adjusting the keyboard backlight, toggling wireless off and on,
adjusting screen brightness, etc as well as providing access to other
hardware settings through a UI.

If I uninstall the Easy Settings software, the problem goes away.
However, this disables a lot of important functionality for the
laptop. Without the Easy Settings software, there is no away adjust
the keyboard backlight for example. Uninstalling the DisplayLink
driver also makes the problem go away.

Troubleshooting steps I have tried without success:
  • Uninstalling and Reinstalling both the DisplayLink driver and Samsung Easy Settings
  • Upgrading DisplayLink driver from 6.2 to 6.3
  • Upgrading Intel video driver from 8.5.10.2618 to 8.5.10.2622
c152driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Wim

Unfortunately this crash is in the Intel Graphics app. This app assumes that there are only the 2 Intel displays present on the PC, and crashes when it finds more displays connected. This needs to be fixed by Intel as we cannot work around this. They should not assume that there would only be the 2 Intel graphics cards connected to the PC.

We have raised this issue with Intel, but they have not been forthcoming with a fix.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
c152driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Unfortunately this crash is in the Intel Graphics app. This app assumes that there are only the 2 Intel displays present on the PC, and crashes when it finds more displays connected. This needs to be fixed by Intel as we cannot work around this. They should not assume that there would only be the 2 Intel graphics cards connected to the PC.

We have raised this issue with Intel, but they have not been forthcoming with a fix.
I was afraid this would be the case. Hopefully you will continue to apply pressure to Intel to come up with a fix. With the large population of Intel graphics-based machines out there (and I expect that to increase with Ivy Bridge) I imagine you'll be hearing about this problem more going forward.

I will be reporting this problem on Intel's support forum. Let me know if there's any place else I can complain to that would help prod Intel to provide a fix.
c152driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Harry Newton

Unhappy igfxext module has stopped working.

I have the same problem. I am constantly getting the "igfxext Module has stopped working module." Here's my story. I have a ThinkPad X220 running Windows 7 using DisplayLink to drive three external monitors using ViBook devices. This setup works flawlessly. I bought a new ThinkPad X230 running Windows 7, installed DisplayLink and now I get this stupid message. I have done everything I know to do -- from re-imaging my hard drive to going down one version in DisplayLink. I've even replaced drivers from Lenovo with the newer ones on their web site. Nothing works. I don't know what igfxext.exe actually does. But I have determined (as least, so far) that if I just erase the error message when it appears, my machine seems to work perfectly. The irritation of the constant error message gets to me, however. Plus the nagging feeling that maybe one day the whole system will die. There's nothing on Intel's site about this problem. There's nothing on Lenovo's site and their people have heard nothing about. This link on the DisplayLink forum is basically the only thing I have found. If anyone has a solution or would like a dialog, my email address is HarryNewton2009@gmail.com. I'd be eternally grateful if someone had an idea.
Harry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
madisonjames

Default igfxext module has stopped working

I too have this issue with my Lenovo T530 with Intel/Nvidia Optimus. This PC worked fine until I installed the drivers for my Targus USB3.0 dock, which installs displaylink as part of the drivers.

The odd thing is I did not have this issue on my Lenovo T520 with Intel/Nvidia Optimus, and the main difference between these 2 models is USB2.0 verse USB3.0. Not sure if this means anything...

I was able to get ride of the igfxex.exe crash by renaming the file in c:\windows\system32. I have not seen any obvious ill affects in doing,,, yet...

I also have a second issue, the USB hub in the Targus USB3.0 dock will only work after the first reboot after the dock drivers are installed. Once I reboot again the usb hub will no longer work, and there are no bangs in the device manger too. I don't think this issue is related to renaming the igfxex.exe since this issue occurs before renaming that file.

http://www.targus.com/us/productdeta...RlZ29yeUlkPTEz

Both PC are running Windows 7 x64 Pro.
madisonjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Harry Newton

Default A solution to igfxext Module is not working

REad my note above. I've spent hours fiddling with this idiocy.
But the solution suggested in the post above is simply to rename the file igfxext.exe to something like igfxext.dat. I did that this afternoon and the error message has disappeared. And my new X230 seems to be working fine. At least for now. A word: I reimaged my hard drive to factory install. Then I downloaded and installed the latest DisplayLink Windows driver....Then I renamed the file. More on this if something screws up. But for now, fingers crossed, I'm in good shape.
Harry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
SlidVendetta

Default Possible Soloution

I have a Lenovo W520. I had the same errors whenever I reboot or change status like unplugging and plugging power back in. It was the DisplayLink drivers that had been updated. I use a ThinkVision LT1421 Travel Monitor and I had to revert to version 6.2 from April. All is working well now. Lenovo uses the same technology for the port replicators as well. Hope this helps somebody.
SlidVendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
madisonjames

Default igfxext module has stopped working

I have also found that this issue is tied to several of the other Lenovo components that are installed and their versions.

If you remove the Lenovo Power Manager tool software the issue seems to go away as well.

I had my Lenovo rep look into this issue too and he was able to correct it by loading specific driver/software version from both Lenovo and Displaylink, but he has not written up these items for me just yet.
madisonjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Loboman

Default igfxext module has stopped working Samsung series 9

Every once in a while I get the following messages popping up:

"igfxext module has stopped working"

"Desktop Window Manager has stopped working and was closed"

Both times I just closed the offending window (x) and went about my work with what I believe to be no further difficulty. However, I'm not sure about this and the messages are concerning.

Is this still a problem Intel needs to address?
Loboman is offline   Reply With Quote