Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 01-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
John C Arnold

Default 2nd monitor lags when browsing

Starting a couple of weeks ago, possibly after a Windows update, I have a problem where the display on the second monitor does not keep up with the laptop's screen - but only when browsing. All local programs, including movies played from DVD, seem to be just fine. But anything in a browser, including IE9 and Google Chrome (whatever version is available for download this afternoon, when I tried it) lags behind by up to 10's of seconds.

I am running an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop using HP's USB port replicator to connect to a Dell M900 CRT as the second monitor. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium, on Service Pack 1 (in fact, I think I saw a notice about the Service Pack installation at about the same time that the problem began). I downloaded the newest version of Displaylink two hours ago and there was no improvement.

Any ideas?
John C Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Wim

Please make sure you are using Windows Aero graphics mode, rather than basic graphics mode. This should solve the issue you are having.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
ErikvanD

Exactly the same here.

Have been running DisplayLink for more than a year now without any problem or noticable lag. But since a week or so I too experience extreme lag when browsing. My system is a late 2009 MBP with Windows 7 SP1 x64 (latest updates applied). On latest DL driver (6.1.35912). Graphics card is Nvida M9400. Aero is enabled. Monitors are two Samsung Syncmaster P2450H.
ErikvanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
metalliqaz

I have the same problem, except I have it all the time. Has there been any solution found for this?
metalliqaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
metalliqaz

Default DL-3900 Terrible Performance on Windows Vista

First off, I'd like to thank you for ignoring my other pleas for help. Very professional.

I'm having problems with my DL-3900 based video adapter. It is very, very slow. The main issue is a choppy mouse while interacting with the GUI.

It does work. The display looks fine, but as soon as I open a web browser and start to interact with it, it slows down so much that the mouse lag renders the additional display unusable. I mean REALLY unusable. I can't reliably click on links or read mouseover pop-ups because of the extreme lag. Video is not slow and plays just fine (for example YouTube). The problem exists in all applications. It is obvious that ANY interaction that causes the computer to "think" even a tiny bit causes the mouse to hiccup and lag so much that it can't possibly be used. Move the browser to the directly connected display and all issues disappear immediately.

When Aero is enabled the problem is at its worst. I turned off Aero and it is MUCH better. Still not great, but at least usable. I tried the same adapter on a different (older) computer running XP and it works perfect there. Is there a problem with Vista?

I have tried unplugging all USB peripherals and moving it to different ports. No difference. I've updated, rebooted, reinstalled, etc.

I have also noticed that the DisplayLink drivers seem to interfere with the operation of the normal graphics card and built-in screen. For example, if I do anything that causes Windows to ask for elevated privileges, it makes the screen on all monitors go black for several seconds. This is definitely new behavior. It also goes blank after playing video games. Also, the Asus Splendid utility seems to be overridden now.

Based on my experiments with this unit, I'm pretty sure this is a software issue. Targus includes the DisplayLink drivers unmodified. You are the experts. Please advise.

I'd prefer not to use your data collection tool on my PC and then post the results on the open internet, but here are the system details:

Targus USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Dual Video Adapter
DisplayLink drivers 6.3m0
(using USB2 -> DVI)
Asus gaming series laptop
Core 2 Duo (WEI 5.0)
Windows Vista, up-to-date
GeForce GTX 260M (WEI 5.9)
Latest up-to-date graphics drivers
Old 06-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Wim

Can you take a video of the "lag" as it might give me an idea of the cause and a possible fix.

Wim
Old 06-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Wim

Looking at the spec you have posted, it looks like there should be no issues under Vista.

I'd need the logs to see if there is anything else that stands out, and possibly a video of the lag and see if that gives any ideas.

Wim
Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
Doublej

Default Cursor Lag in Firefox

I am trying to use the Toshiba Dynadock U3.0 with a Dell XPS13 laptop and Dell U2412 external monitor running Windows 7.

I have the setup in projector mode (i.e. displaying on the U2412 only) and I am getting cursor lag when in Firefox.

I am using the latest driver from the DisplayLink website.

Any thoughts at to why this may be occuring?

FYI this is a great improvement over using the latest Toshiba supplied driver where Firefox would not launch.

The odd thing is that Firefox Safemode works fine, yet if running not in safemode with all extensions and plug ins disabled it does not.
Doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #9
metalliqaz

Here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ygRydu6Vk
Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Wim

Thanks metalliqaz. I can see the problem. Can you post the log files, or at least the System Details.txt so we can see the machine settings.

Wim