Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #1
serussell

Default Working status for Ubuntu

Hi,

I want to report a set-up that's working for me:
  • Dell XPS13
  • Dell D3100 docking station
  • Kernel 4.1.0-040100rc3
  • Ubuntu 15.10
  • i3 window manager

What is working:
  • 2x Samsung SyncMaster E2420
  • Ethernet
  • USB, including a USB headset

What is not working:
  • Rotation (known issue)
  • Third external monitor sometimes works, usually doesn't
  • USB power seems on the weak side; sometimes my cell phone thinks it doesn't have enough power to charge
  • Audio is untested
  • Monitor identification / name assignment is 90% reliable, but 10% of the time the monitor IDs get shuffled; this makes auto-configuration a little flaky.

xrandr works fine; arandr works pretty well, but sometimes it takes some fidgeting with xrandr (turning things off and on again) to get everything set up. So, there's some flakeyness, but by and large it works reliably enough for day-to-day use. Enough so, I have one dock at work, one dock at home, and move between them daily. I have scripts set up to arrange displays; unfortunately, this can't be fully automated because of the lack of fully unique IDs for the monitors (UUIDs, although there may be a way to query this I haven't yet discovered).

I'm a little sad that the third external monitor doesn't work reliably, but I most miss the ability to rotate displays. Still, overall I'm happy with the set-up, so thanks DisplayLink for the Linux support.
serussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
shaun123

Can you freely re-arrange your monitors and switch off your laptop monitor?

I have the monitors working but often cannot re-arrange my monitors or switch off my laptop monitor without the system crashing, which is incredibly annoying when moving between my office and home where the monitors are always arranged incorrectly upon restart.
shaun123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
Gert

Default can't install driver for D3100

I have made new installation of ubuntu 15.10 and can't install the Displaylink driver for D3100. Will there soon be an update of the driver?
Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
banderson5586

I have the same issue with the 3rd monitor (2nd USB monitor). There is an error that pops up saying could not load configuration or something like that. Seems to work if I enable again using Display menu or xrandr.
banderson5586 is offline   Reply With Quote