Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
ronnyl

Smile Display output bad after Windows 8.1 upgrade

We are a Dell reseller, and one of our customers bought Dell xps 13 computer, Dell 27" monitor and USB 3.0 docking. Readabillity was ok when running Windows 8, but after upgrading to Windows 8.1 text output is clearly reduced. Images appear to be quite ok, but text appear somewhat smeary and is difficult to read in lenghts of time.

Our customer have 3 identical sets of computer/monitor/docking. Both that have been upgraded to Windows 8.1 have the excact same issues, but the one still running on Windows 8 is ok.

For the record, the computers are updated, all drivers seems to be updated as well, and running the latest software from DisplayLink.

Please help!
ronnyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Can you attach the logs please?
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
ronnyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Hi,

Can you attach the logs please?
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks
James
I haven't been able to get these yet, as our customer is working outside a lot of the time. This is not a known issue? It could have something to do with the Dell XPS computer I guess, but both computers with Windows 8.1 have the same issue.

Update! I did get the log file - file is attached. Please check it out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OLAF_PC_20140130_143346.zip (305.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by ronnyl; 01-30-2014 at 12:53 PM.
ronnyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
JamesH

Hi,

Could be scaling related - please try selecting the properties of the application and in the compatibility tab turn on "disable display scaling on high DPI devices".

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Dan
Banned

Just to elaborate, Windows 8.1 introduced per screen scaling based on the reported DPI of the screen through its EDID.

You can disable this from "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalisation\Display" and tick the option 'Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays'.

On the one hand it is annoying having icons and text looking tiny on one screen and huge on the other, but on the other hand, the way it's been implemented can end up with blurry text as you report. Personally I've ticked the box.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote