Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #71
MickM

Default rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
I experienced this same fix. Unfortunately, I can't physically rotate my monitor upside down to match the orientation.
Got excited there for a moment. I set my DisplayLink monitor for upside-down orientation and restarted etc, but I still get the same epilepsy-inducing screen flashing. Oh well.

At this point I'm going to back off pushing on the DisplayLink developer because I guess it's clear that Apple introduced this bug with Mountain Lion and the developer is left holding the bag. I also use other applications in which Apple's CoreGraphics's bugs yield totally messed up visuals. I'm going to go back through this thread and see if there is a reference to an Apple bug number and then just report it myself to try and up the priority. I hear they've started seeding 10.8.3 - man I hope Apple have done something about this in that release. I wouldn't mind seeing a vague smiling emoticon from the developer as an indication that this will bring improvements.

Last edited by MickM; 11-01-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
MickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #72
cmwade77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickM View Post
Got excited there for a moment. I set my DisplayLink monitor for upside-down orientation and restarted etc, but I still get the same epilepsy-inducing screen flashing. Oh well.

At this point I'm going to back off pushing on the DisplayLink developer because I guess it's clear that Apple introduced this bug with Mountain Lion and the developer is left holding the bag. I also use other applications in which Apple's CoreGraphics's bugs yield totally messed up visuals. I'm going to go back through this thread and see if there is a reference to an Apple bug number and then just report it myself to try and up the priority. I hear they've started seeding 10.8.3 - man I hope Apple have done something about this in that release. I wouldn't mind seeing a vague smiling emoticon from the developer as an indication that this will bring improvements.
I am not going to back off of them, the more that I use the J5Create's device, the more I realize that at least the crashing issues are NOT an OS issue, as their device is working quite well under Mountain Lion.

Yes, there are some minor display issues that are on OS issue, but these are resolved by simply moving the cursor and don't happen all that often.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #73
quang4me

After installing the driver 1.8, I randomly got the login issue after starting the computer, it doesn't show up the user login boxes.
Even though I can bypass this problem by typing my password and login blindly, I couldn't make Preview app, Flash and XCode work after that, they constantly crashed.

All programs above work fine if I (luckily and randomly) start my computer with no login issue.

Therefore, I believe that it's not just a login issue per se, but its related effects need to be resolved also.

Last edited by quang4me; 11-03-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo
quang4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #74
johnkramlich

Exclamation 1920 x1080 resolution missing

I recently went from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. Previously, my monitor connected via DisplayLink correctly set the maximum resolution of my display to 1920x1080. It now incorrectly sets the max resolution to 1280x1024. The highest resolution I can set the monitor to without distortion, due to the wrong aspect ratio, is 1280 x 800.

My monitor is an Acer S231HL

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/MO...231HLsp2.shtml

As a fellow software developer, I urge you to create a tool for advanced users that would allow a person to input the maximum resolution and refresh rate manually. I know this is probably easier said then done.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (423.1 KB, 0 views)
johnkramlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #75
wilkesalex

Hi there,
  • Mountain Lion 10.8.2
  • Mid 2009 Macbook Pro 8Gb 2.53 Core2Duo
  • 9400M-256MB
  • VERTEX4-256GB
  • 15" macbook 1440x900
  • 24" plugged into mini displayport 1920x1080
  • 27" plugged in usb hdmi 1920x1080

I got http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Plated-Premium-Adapter/..... this today, it didn't seem to work without the driver...
so I downloaded the latest Mac driver

I saw the warning for Mountain Lion, awesome

Installed driver, rebooted, had to unplug and plug back in but it worked. Showed up in Display Prefs as the identified (with model info etc) 3rd monitor, works great with Arrangement tab, and made the usb 27" my main monitor by moving the top taskbar over

However,
  • laggy performance on usb monitor (just about bareable, but really noticeable when u have two great performance monitors either side)
  • sometimes mouse freezes on the screen, but I can still move it about (like taking a snapshot of just the pointer)
  • also I have to sometimes make something on the designated screen happen for it to "activate" , e.g. drag a window onto it, after logging in. (As it's set as my main monitor, I cant see the login screen too) - but its a BenQ monitor that does take pretty long to start up so will confirm in more tests tomorrow
  • but no lag on other screens
  • and no crashing programs (had ubuntu VM open, chrome, skype, chrome, preview, itunes, mail)

I dunno how many days I've got till I can return it, which i will do, as i didn't buy a decent second monitor for it to lag, but I hope either Apple or the developers make it work with all the known issues, and I guess general performance, before then! You can't even get Lion in the app store, which I would do, you know, just to make use of my second monitor or something stupid, so you gotta ring apple to get a special code, great, cheers for not mentioning that on your page

Save all of us a phone call, ring one of your apple cronies and work together to update the driver before they update OSX ? how do we even know that 10.8.3 will fix it? how do YOU even know that 10.8.3 will fix it? what if apple doesnt care about your hardware? i know who does care. the people buying it.
wilkesalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #76
GodwinC

Lag is caused by USB bandwidth limitation.. there is no way to solve it other than a hardware / port upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkesalex View Post
Hi there,
  • Mountain Lion 10.8.2
  • Mid 2009 Macbook Pro 8Gb 2.53 Core2Duo
  • 9400M-256MB
  • VERTEX4-256GB
  • 15" macbook 1440x900
  • 24" plugged into mini displayport 1920x1080
  • 27" plugged in usb hdmi 1920x1080

I got http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Plated-Premium-Adapter/..... this today, it didn't seem to work without the driver...
so I downloaded the latest Mac driver

I saw the warning for Mountain Lion, awesome

Installed driver, rebooted, had to unplug and plug back in but it worked. Showed up in Display Prefs as the identified (with model info etc) 3rd monitor, works great with Arrangement tab, and made the usb 27" my main monitor by moving the top taskbar over

However,
  • laggy performance on usb monitor (just about bareable, but really noticeable when u have two great performance monitors either side)
  • sometimes mouse freezes on the screen, but I can still move it about (like taking a snapshot of just the pointer)
  • also I have to sometimes make something on the designated screen happen for it to "activate" , e.g. drag a window onto it, after logging in. (As it's set as my main monitor, I cant see the login screen too) - but its a BenQ monitor that does take pretty long to start up so will confirm in more tests tomorrow
  • but no lag on other screens
  • and no crashing programs (had ubuntu VM open, chrome, skype, chrome, preview, itunes, mail)

I dunno how many days I've got till I can return it, which i will do, as i didn't buy a decent second monitor for it to lag, but I hope either Apple or the developers make it work with all the known issues, and I guess general performance, before then! You can't even get Lion in the app store, which I would do, you know, just to make use of my second monitor or something stupid, so you gotta ring apple to get a special code, great, cheers for not mentioning that on your page

Save all of us a phone call, ring one of your apple cronies and work together to update the driver before they update OSX ? how do we even know that 10.8.3 will fix it? how do YOU even know that 10.8.3 will fix it? what if apple doesnt care about your hardware? i know who does care. the people buying it.
GodwinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #77
Parch

Unhappy Mountain Lion Driver- Any news???

I'm still sitting here with the usb monitor adapter that I bought under the mistaken impression that it worked with mountain lion. Now that I have this $50 paperweight, I've tweeted the Displaylink twitter account multiple times and am being ignored. Anybody heard any recent updates (like within last two weeks)?

Really want this thing to work.
Parch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #78
Wim

Hi All

We have been looking at the login issue to try and find the root cause of this. It appears that when the login issue occurs, it leads to the application crashing (finder, Adobe flash etc), so the 2 issues look related.

We have discovered it occurs when we install our kernel extension (kext), needed to add our virtual displays. To try and work out what was causing it, we tried a basic kext, using Apple example code. However the login issue can still be reproduced with this basic extension from Apple. It happens less often, but the bug is still there. We have also found it happens on other 3rd party devices. It seems there is a timing issue with adding a kext to Mountain Lion, which exposes this login issue/applications crashing.

I know you don't care whose issue this is and just want this fixed, but there is nothing further we can do to fix this issue. We are already beating on Apple's door about this bug (Bug ID# 12533718) but have not had any follow up from Apple about the cause or a fix. If there is anyone from Apple reading this - then please follow up on this issue and see how it is affecting your users with DisplayLink devices.

Hopefully together, we can pressure Apple into fixing this now we know it is an OS issue.

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #79
Macdaddy

Default Splash top

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiddlet72 View Post
I had a clean install of OS X 10.8 and noticed a number of repeating issues.

New installation ran fine until installation of DisplayLink Driver v1.8.

Notable issues:
Login screen inputs invisible.
iTerm crashes.
Installation of Chrome fails (Console noted simultaneous plugin issues with FlashPlayer 10.6)
System Preferences crash upon attempting to view screensaver options.
Screen Saver initiation w/ hot corner failed.

Unexpected issue:
Using outlook to choose a file to attach to email - outlook crashes when choose file in dropdown.

Once I uninstalled displaylink. All back to normal. I can send a Console dump as requested.

I can't tell what the graphical issue pushing an otherwise ok driver to go kerplunk from the OS X 10.8 side.

Note - I"m using a Late 2011 MBP 13" w/ 2.4GHz Intel i5. 8GB RAM. 500GB SATA HDD (5400rpm). One external monitor: DVI to Thunderbolt, Second external monitor, via Kensington Adapter w/ Displaylink (now down due to uninstall of DIsplayLink 1.8 Driver).

Many thanks,
Phillip

Hello Phillip,

I had the identical symptoms you encountered. My situation was resolved by disabling the display driver in Splash Top Streamer (a remote desktop app). I'm not sure if you or anyone else in this thread is running this app, but if you are, that will do the trick.

Cheers!
Sean
Macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #80
chandler767

Exclamation Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hi All

We have been looking at the login issue to try and find the root cause of this. It appears that when the login issue occurs, it leads to the application crashing (finder, Adobe flash etc), so the 2 issues look related.

We have discovered it occurs when we install our kernel extension (kext), needed to add our virtual displays. To try and work out what was causing it, we tried a basic kext, using Apple example code. However the login issue can still be reproduced with this basic extension from Apple. It happens less often, but the bug is still there. We have also found it happens on other 3rd party devices. It seems there is a timing issue with adding a kext to Mountain Lion, which exposes this login issue/applications crashing.

I know you don't care whose issue this is and just want this fixed, but there is nothing further we can do to fix this issue. We are already beating on Apple's door about this bug (Bug ID# 12533718) but have not had any follow up from Apple about the cause or a fix. If there is anyone from Apple reading this - then please follow up on this issue and see how it is affecting your users with DisplayLink devices.

Hopefully together, we can pressure Apple into fixing this now we know it is an OS issue.

Thanks

Wim
Is there anyway to disable the kext until the user logs in? If so wouldn't this fix the problem?
chandler767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
login screen, mountain lion