Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 06-26-2016, 04:13 AM   #1
justinianpopa

Default Conflict with NVIDIA drivers and control panel

Greetings,
I would like to report the following issue i noticed today:
I have 1x DVI monitor connected to a GTX460 and 1x HDMI monitor connected to a GTX560 + 2x AOC E2251FWU displaylink monitors on Windows 10 (latest updates) and recently after a nvidia driver update, the NVIDIA control panel refuses to open when displaylink monitors are plugged in.
Moreover, when they are plugged in, the other monitors (those connected to gpus) reset their resolutions to default values and the control panel doesn't open (exception explained below). When i unplug the displaylink monitors the resolution resets to my custom values and i can open the nvidia control panel again.
I have tested to see if it's the latest update at fault from nvidia (368.39) but it isn't because i went as far back as 353.30 (which is from last year) and it still does the same thing.
Also, when i choose to install the 3dvision driver from nvidia, with the same test scenario the nvidia control panel opens with only 3dvision options almost like it's not seeing my GPUs and their monitors and only seeing the displaylink monitors and thinking it's not compatible (primary monitor is set to the DVI one). I have tested this with both 7.9M5 and the 8.0Beta4 software and it's the same behaviour.
Any recommendations?
justinianpopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:17 AM   #2
justinianpopa

Just did a clean install of Windows 10 (1511 10586.420) with latest Nvidia drivers (368.39) and latest displaylink drivers (8.0M4 beta) and i can confirm it still does this. when i remove the 2 displaylink monitors i can open nvidia control panel but when i have them plugged in i cannot.
any fix?
Old 06-27-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
AlbanRampon

Hello,

There is unfortunately nothing DisplayLink can do to make the Nvidia application understand what a monitor non connected to the card is.
That application only recognises monitors physically connected to it and will fail when other monitors are connected.
We have flagged this to Nvidia a few times already, over a few years. The change needs to be in the application.

Because of changes in the Windows OS adding native DisplayLink USB graphics, I believe the issue will disappear with the new Windows 10, available from end of July to August.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
justinianpopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,

There is unfortunately nothing DisplayLink can do to make the Nvidia application understand what a monitor non connected to the card is.
That application only recognises monitors physically connected to it and will fail when other monitors are connected.
We have flagged this to Nvidia a few times already, over a few years. The change needs to be in the application.

Because of changes in the Windows OS adding native DisplayLink USB graphics, I believe the issue will disappear with the new Windows 10, available from end of July to August.

Kind regards,
Alban
Thank you for the quick response. I will also make this issue known in the nvidia forums and maybe it will be solved soon.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
AlbanRampon

You're welcome.

I think your best best will be to use the new Windows 10 as it will fix itself, somewhat.
As you seem to keep your computer updated, I believe you will get it early August.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote