Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #101
jpap

Default 10.8.3 works; but don't claim support on 10.8 just yet!

I've installed OS X 10.8.3 (12D38) on a late-2011 13" MBP, with a DL-195 connected to a 24" 90deg rotated DVI HP display.

No random crashes after a full week. The HP display doesn't go live until after login and looks as it should.

After a really bad DisplayLink driver-support issue on 10.7, I waited several months before upgrading to 10.8 and after seeing that 10.8 was "supported" on the driver download page. (Yes, the DL driver was the only thing holding me back!)

I did not have an appreciation of the severity of the issues in KB333 until I had experienced them myself. I would recommend not saying that 10.8 is supported on the Driver Download page until a user can use the driver normally. I don't consider random crashes of Finder and other apps, caused by a OS bug or DL driver issue, as being "supported".

Glad it wasn't your bug in the end, DL, but you still fail on communication. Luckily that's something you can easily fix going forward. ;-)

jpap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hi All

About a week ago, Apple released v10.8.3 OSX update to developers. The release notes don't mention the login issue being fixed, but we have been testing this and the Login issues seem to have "gone away".

We're wondering if this is just coincidence in our testing, as we know it is timing related, or is it fixed for anyone else on here with access to the 10.8.3 developer release?

Thanks

Wim

Last edited by jpap; 12-27-2012 at 04:44 AM.
jpap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #102
dkn

Default Apple problem?

It looks like it might be a general problem in Mac OS X 10.8 with third party display drivers.

I tried out AirParrot (external display via AirPlay on Apple TV - it also sets up a display driver) - exactly the same symptoms as described here:
* no login window (managed to log in simply by entering the password blindly)
* some types of output don't show - e.g. iTunes video

This is extremely uncool - devices are only partly functional.

If DisplayLink have a workaround, by all means please publish it.

If the problem can be traced to Apple.. well, blame Apple and demand a fix.
dkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #103
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpap View Post
Glad it wasn't your bug in the end, DL, but you still fail on communication. Luckily that's something you can easily fix going forward. ;-)
jpap
Dear jpap,

I personally think that this is a very sensible conclusion.
The 1.8 we shipped months and months ago is still the same and the user experience seems to be good on 10.8.3 for most people. Yet, on some platforms the 10.8.0 user experience was awful (not for everyone, I've never seen the login issue on my Mac for example).

Determining where the blame lies is not the most important thing here, even if it's not with DisplayLink.

We need to ensure that in the future solutions like ours can interoperate well with OS X. Apple already fixed at least six critical bugs in ML that affect our devices, including some USB 3 ones that the forum will never be aware of.
This shows that Apple is actively interested in improving the OS and hopefully will bring other improvements as well.

We can help as OS X developers. You can help as Mac customers by raising the issues not only here but with Apple as well, to raise awareness.

All in all, I'm optimistic. I think 2013 will be a great year for USB graphics on OS X.

Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #104
MickM

With the new year upon us, is it possible to provide an estimate for the revised driver update - the constant screen flicker issue continues to a major irritant.
MickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #105
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickM View Post
With the new year upon us, is it possible to provide an estimate for the revised driver update - the constant screen flicker issue continues to a major irritant.
MickM I looked at your previous posts but it's not clear to me what kind of flicker you are experiencing. Is window content or full screen flickering? Only with some applications/OS functions or always?
Any specific triggers? What Mac model do you have?

As many other Mountain Lion issues it may be an OS issue, if I were you I'd open a bug on bugreport.apple.com as well so both us and Apple are aware of it.

Regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #106
lars@lindoff.org

Default Black screen Mountain Lion

My screen is completely black - and I can't find the monitor in Settings/monitors. Seems like the installation doesn't work in 10.8.2. Anybody else having this problem?
lars@lindoff.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #107
zappcatt

I also have issues with the DisplayLink an am dissapointed in the lack of information listed on the "Works with 10.8 with these small issues" page.

I have an issue where my mouseclicks are about 1/8th of an inch off where the mouse is pointing, and windows are drawn about the same distance "off" For example, I can not see the + sign for New Tab in the Firefox browser.

I had flickering issues when playing videos before, but can not duplicate it right now, so will leave that as a "maybe Apple fixed it" mention.

I also will have the adapter not power up when I return after having the computer off for the night. I typically swap USB ports and it works fine for a bit before it happens again.

I would love to see more communication, not just buried 10 pages deep in this thread, would be willing to try beta drivers to see if they help. I just find it amazing that their has not been a single update to the driver for this device since July, over 6 months ago.
zappcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #108
fhall1

Displaylink is banking on Apple soon releasing 10.8.3 and hoping it fixes everyone's issues. My USB display has been sitting unused on the shelf for months now...
fhall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #109
omervk

Unhappy

The issue is the same for me as described above:

Mac OSX 10.8.2, driver v.1.8, monitor is blank and does not appear in the Displays page in Settings.

Workaround is to uninstall the driver, restart, reinstall the driver, restart.

Very unpleasant. Looking forward to a prompt reply from DisplayLink!
omervk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #110
MikeA

Default Flicker disappears at natural pixel resolution on main display.

RE: the screen flicker issue (ghost rectangles from the edges of previously drawn + moved rectangles).

I use SwitchResX. The screen flicker doesn't occur when I set the resolution of my main display at maximum (2880 * 1800). I have only seen the screen flicker on the main display, not the DisplayLink-connected displays.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, (didn't have time to trawl through this thread). Hope it might give a clue.

Good luck guys.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
login screen, mountain lion