Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 08-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
egerlach

Default ubuntu 14.04: USB 3.0 Display Video Adapter: extreme slow

Hi,

I purchased i-tec USB 3.0 Display Video Adapter Advance TRIO DVI HDMI VGA FullHD+ 2048x1152 px External graphic card , I installed latest ubuntu package with dkms. the result is disappointing: both external displays 1650x1050 become very slow, I can't work fluently. Load runs up to 0,95 even if I type in text. I've a laptop with AMD A8-6410 processor and USB 3.0., 4GB RAM, Xubuntu 14.04. Standard background is covered by a white terminal. I'm disappointed. I turned back to one extermal display only.

Eckard
egerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
banderson5586

Is the DisplayLink manager process taking all of your CPU? I've noticed that after a while, especially with suspend/hibernate and multiple times docking/undocking that the process can become unstable.

I have had luck restarting the process. Sometimes forced to restart my machine which always resolves the issue.

I'm running a Dell XPS12 with the Dell 3.0 docking station. 2 Monitors covered by DisplayLink, 1 by the mini-DisplayPort adapter and the laptop monitor. The display link monitors do not have any noticeable difference from the other monitors. you might want to try the new driver.

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu.php
banderson5586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:49 AM   #3
egerlach

Thx. I already took the latest driver. You run a much faster Laptop. I run a normally a laptop with Core i7 , but I can't access it at the moment. I'm sure that this laptop will run a external Display much faster. (but that laptop with a core i7 has a VGA and HDMI port, so I don't the USB-DisplayManager there ...)

I just mentioned, that even the adapter is not plugged in, the DisplayLinkMananger process takes lot of processor time. But meanwhile I hibernated lots of times, maybe its because of that. So I killed the DisplayLinkMananger process an renamed it:

# mv /usr/lib/displaylink/DisplayLinkManager /usr/lib/displaylink/DisplayLinkManager_

Any further ideas are welcome ...

Eckard

Last edited by egerlach; 09-02-2015 at 01:53 AM.
egerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
ndeubert

I also have a real problem with DisplayLinkManager eating up my CPU, see the attached screenshot (sometimes it said it was as high as 111%).

There is also significant lag on the 2 DisplayLink monitors making it almost impossible to swiftly use the mouse. I am using Ubuntu 15.04. For me restarting doesn't make much difference the lag is still significant. I am using this with a ThinkPad lenovo USB 3.0 dock. If you need any more information please ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-09-09_09-33-06.jpg (19.5 KB, 4 views)
ndeubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
pateretou

same issue here with a lenovo USB 3.0 dock and ubuntu 15.04
pateretou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
ubuntu

Same problem here. Running Ubuntu 15.04 with the latest driver installed. Connected a HiDPI (3840 x 2160) external Monitor to the dock using the DisplayPort. The Video output on the external Monitor is extremely delayed. If I connect the HiDPI Monitor directly to the Laptop (also DisplayPort) everything runs smoothly.

@DisplayLink: Do you need any further information to analyze this problem?
ubuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
mlukaszek

Hi,

Does the situation improve when you use other desktop environment than default Unity? (e.g. KDE or Gnome)

If you could also attach the output of dmidecode from your systems, we could try to determine if your configurations have something in common.

Thanks,
Michal
mlukaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
pateretou

Same issue with gnome, or cinnamon. Never tried unity.

dmidecode attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt dmidecode.txt (16.9 KB, 4 views)
pateretou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #9
kTran

Same issue here also
Connected two external displays and each of them is a bit laggy. Nothing impossible to handle, but still bothering sometimes when the mouse doesn't follow precisely...

Using xfce with xUbuntu.

Here is my dmidecode attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dmidecode.txt (16.7 KB, 2 views)
kTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #10
xenith

I recently just purchased an adapter with a DL-5xxx series chip and was unpleasantly surprised that when connecting two displays at 1080p it appears that it down clocks the refresh-rate to 30fps / Hz

Is that simply what is going on here? Am I wrong in my assessment that if we want two displays connected simultaneously, we're stuck at 30Hz?
xenith is offline   Reply With Quote