Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.5 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
skevy

Default Doesn't Work At All - Kext doesn't load

Hi -

So, excitedly this morning, I tried to install this driver. At first, I had my computer booting Snow Leopard into 64 bit, using the arch=x86_64 flag in my com.Apple.Boot.plist. I tried installing the driver, and it told me the kext could not be loaded, and when I restarted, all I saw was the following in my system.log:

Code:
Aug 17 12:10:51 shimmy-2 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[291] (com.displaylink.useragent): Throttling respawn: Will start in 5 seconds
 Monday, August 17, 2009 12:10:55 PM America/Detroit 
Aug 17 12:10:54 shimmy-2 com.apple.launchd[1] (com.displaylink.usbnivolistener[921]): posix_spawn("/System/Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkDriver.kext/DisplayLinkAgent/USBNivoListener", ...): No such file or directory
Aug 17 12:10:54 shimmy-2 com.apple.launchd[1] (com.displaylink.usbnivolistener[921]): Exited with exit code: 1
Aug 17 12:10:54 shimmy-2 com.apple.launchd[1] (com.displaylink.usbnivolistener): Throttling respawn: Will start in 5 seconds
Aug 17 12:10:56 shimmy-2 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[291] (com.displaylink.useragent[922]): posix_spawn("/System/Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkDriver.kext/DisplayLinkAgent/DisplayLinkUserAgent", ...): No such file or directory
Aug 17 12:10:56 shimmy-2 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[291] (com.displaylink.useragent[922]): Exited with exit code: 1
Frustrated, I checked for the files that it couldn't find - they weren't there. So, I thought that maybe the installer wasn't ready for 64 bit. I uninstalled the driver, verified it was uninstalled, removed the "arch=x86_64" boot flag from my com.Apple.Boot.plist, and restarted. I was sure that I had rebooted back into 32-bit mode because of the following output when I ran "uname -a":

Code:
Darwin shimmy-2.local 10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Sat Jul 18 23:35:54 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.22~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386
I reinstalled the driver, this time no kext loading error message upon install. Restarted as was requested, and after my computer had rebooted, I plugged in my DisplayLink hardware (to several usb ports) and nothing happened.

I opened up my system.log again, and found the same output as above; it couldn't find the files. I showed the package contents of the installer in the dmg and looked for those two files, and they don't exist in the installer either. Is this a mistake? Did you guys forget to put a couple things in the DMG?

Also, I verified that my DisplayLink hardware is in your Supported Products.plist file. My product id is "0x0198" (408 in decimal) and my vendor id is "0x17e9" (6121 in decimal).

Please help with this problem - I'm really missing my two extra monitors since WWDC!

Thanks!

P.S.: I've attached the debugging information that I got from using your tool as requested in the "Providing Bug Reports" post on the forum.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (8.2 KB, 1000 views)