Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #51
defilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
At bare minimum, make a note that the current driver is NOT fully compatible with Mountain Lion.
I would say this is poor policy. I have had to reboot my system so many times it caused damage to the file system, and I have had to do a full restore. Glad OS X has Time machine.

I have a quad monitor set-up at work and quad at home. I have had no problems to date, but with the DL driver loaded I have had so much instability, besides the Blank login screen, and core dumps, I have had MS Office 2011 inability to start and crash. Cold start, same problem, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, crash. Uninstall the driver, cold start, MS apps AOK.

3 adapters per location, but these were purchased a while ago. I rely on this to work to be productive. Sorry if MAC users seem impatient, but we put up with Apples crap, underpowered hardware, RAM compared to the PC market, because "A Mac just works", and that is what you want when you need to be productive. This driver destabilizes the OS, and REMOVING it is NOT an option! Now a 2.0? manes me really want to consider upgrading and replacing my USB adapters, especially if the other forums and support area is relatively clean and their drivers work...
defilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #52
yuryg

Default Need Drivers for Fixes

While working for a computer manufacturer I appreciate your developer team trying to improve the product in to the future.

Unfortunately that is just what I would expect from a developer.

"Yeah ... it does not work ... but we can make it better. Why don't we just rewrite the code ... and ...and"

I have heard it before. That is usually when I step in and have them forget they are a developer and put themselves in the customers place. We have a LARGE number of users that have 22-25" Displays staring back at us with a blank screen.

While I welcome the 2.0 improvements, how about they just fix the code to have a WORKING version first.

Can you imagine what you are telling us????

OCTOBER - 15, just wait until Q1 and we will fix it. That is is a minimum of 4 to 5 months you are asking us to stare at a blank screen. Do you really think that all of us will do that?

Now you are also asking your partners to argue with until now happy customers who have a $100 piece of @#$&(*&@# lying on their desk and unable to do anything about it.

Please pass our feelings to the executives (CTO, CIO, Executive in charge of Trash removal) and have them put this ship back on track by providing a fix that us with Mountain Lion 1.8.2 can stabilize on.

If you provide a fix for 1.8.2 I would be glad to Freeze the system until Q1 and not update the root kernel waiting for the full release.
yuryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #53
defilm

Default I don't think there is a 1.8.1. This driver is causing massive disruption.

I have a quad monitor set-up at work and quad at home and work. That is 6 total. This is just rock bottom poor support. I realize how difficult it is in the US to get highly skilled IT workers. I suspect this problem goes much deeper. Remember that the ROI is low. Existing customers don't bring in additional revenue. The motivation to resolve this would be higher if this was a Win7 problem just on volume alone. What I do find unethical is that they are still claiming 10.8 compliant and selling to new unsuspecting customers. That may induce me to write my friends at @techcrunch, and @mashable, @maccult on twitter, and let them get the word out.

I am loyal, but it can only go so far. Having worked as an EE, PE working my way up after 25+ years to Director and Managing Director, I am linkedIn to some peers over at ATEN corp among many other OEM's. (ATEN are the makers of the I/O gear products, which I have 6 of, and each of my IT staff have at least one to support their second monitor. I conveyed the concern. Unfortunately they do not write drivers for their products, understand the issue, but their hands are tied. I MUST have a solution NOW. I need 30-35 units ASAP that work on Mac OS X 10.8 mountain lion. I saw that it was mentioned that a competitor has Mountain Lion drivers that work fine on their product. I don't expect DisplayLink to allow the name of a superior competitor product, and there are at least 10-12 out there from Diamond Media, to Sabant and everything in between, so it is pretty hard to tell which is the known working product.

The person that mentioned he saw a compeditors unit working with 10.8 mountain lion, would you mind sending me an email at defilm at defilm.me so I can stop our bleeding please? Clearly DL don't have a 1.8.1 that resolves the problems, or they would release a beta. I am intimately familiar with proper regression testing, but when the "city of houses is burning to the ground, you get water on it ASAP", you don't play with the fire nozzle on the end of the hose! I don't care if the units are $200 each, the productivity loss is costing far more.

Many thanks!!

PS. I will order one unit overnight. If it works, I will order the remaining balance of 30+ units that I need. I will contact you back for shipping information and I will purchase up to two units for the first provider of the working vendor information and have them drop shipped to you at no cost to you to show my appreciation.
defilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #54
Wim

I agree with you all... if I was in your position I would also be frustrated.

We have a 1.8.1 beta, but it doesn't address many of the issues that have been raised about Mountain Lion. If I released it, I would give it a few hours before it was ripped apart as not a solution. And it needs bug changes to 1.8 to work around the OS bugs causing the issues.

We have to get our v2.0 software out. We're whipping the dev team as hard as we can to get this done, but they're already rowing as fast as they can.

V2.0 development is going better than expected and we should be able to deliver a preview before the end of the year. But it is not ready yet, so can't just magic something up.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #55
cmwade77

Quote:
Originally Posted by defilm View Post
3 adapters per location, but these were purchased a while ago. I rely on this to work to be productive. Sorry if MAC users seem impatient, but we put up with Apples crap, underpowered hardware, RAM compared to the PC market, because "A Mac just works", and that is what you want when you need to be productive. This driver destabilizes the OS, and REMOVING it is NOT an option! Now a 2.0? manes me really want to consider upgrading and replacing my USB adapters, especially if the other forums and support area is relatively clean and their drivers work...
Even though they were purchased a while ago, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the device, they may have an option, our said that they are looking at using the same chips as in the J5Create's devices, as they seem to have better support and that they would replace our devices with the ones with the new chips, in the meanwhile they gave us a complete refund and let us keep the device. I honestly want to keep using their products just because of that, but I can't if they continue to use DisplayLink and they don't come out with updated drivers.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #56
cmwade77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
I agree with you all... if I was in your position I would also be frustrated.

We have a 1.8.1 beta, but it doesn't address many of the issues that have been raised about Mountain Lion. If I released it, I would give it a few hours before it was ripped apart as not a solution. And it needs bug changes to 1.8 to work around the OS bugs causing the issues.

We have to get our v2.0 software out. We're whipping the dev team as hard as we can to get this done, but they're already rowing as fast as they can.

V2.0 development is going better than expected and we should be able to deliver a preview before the end of the year. But it is not ready yet, so can't just magic something up.

Wim
Well, then stop ALL work on 2.0 and get 1.8.1 stable and out, bottom line is your competitors have caught up and passed you. They are offering Mac support for USB 3.0 devices, even on Mountain Lion. Are their drivers perfect? No (if anyone claims a driver or piece of software is perfect and cannot be improved, I would worry about them), but they work and don't cause all of these crashes.

So, unfortunately, from our (the customers) point of view, it shows that you are not trying hard enough to get a fix out. I know that may sound harsh, but it's the honest truth.

I think it may be time to start a Twitter/Facebook campaign to warn everyone about the lack of Mountain Lion support for Displaylink devices, so that they aren't suckered into thinking that they will work.

Last edited by cmwade77; 10-19-2012 at 05:55 PM.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #57
r8r

Thumbs down

I couldn't care less whether you call it a 1.8.x or 2.x release. I just want to be able to use my 3rd screen again. If you don't come up with a solution soon I will never find out what magic unicorn things v2.0 will do, as the displaylink adapter long will have been chucked by then.
Apart from the fact of this somewhat ridiculous support, I think your problem also is, that your user base consists of a fair share of developers and we all know how to not approach upgrade issues; mountain lion has been released for developers months and months ago and you've had plenty of time to release a working driver. Take off the note on your driver page at least, that its supposed to be working on 10.8.
Last but not least, the statement, that you're "whipping the dev team as hard as you can" gave me shivers; I'm glad I don't work for displaylink.
Don't get me wrong: I am a development shop owner myself and know how devestating Environment changes can be to resource planning, but I don't understand why management doesn't have the guts to take responsibility and officially address this issue.
r8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #58
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8r View Post
I couldn't care less whether you call it a 1.8.x or 2.x release. I just want to be able to use my 3rd screen again. If you don't come up with a solution soon I will never find out what magic unicorn things v2.0 will do, as the displaylink adapter long will have been chucked by then.
Apart from the fact of this somewhat ridiculous support, I think your problem also is, that your user base consists of a fair share of developers and we all know how to not approach upgrade issues; mountain lion has been released for developers months and months ago and you've had plenty of time to release a working driver. Take off the note on your driver page at least, that its supposed to be working on 10.8.
Last but not least, the statement, that you're "whipping the dev team as hard as you can" gave me shivers; I'm glad I don't work for displaylink.
Don't get me wrong: I am a development shop owner myself and know how devestating Environment changes can be to resource planning, but I don't understand why management doesn't have the guts to take responsibility and officially address this issue.
Some really good points here, thank you r8r.
Yes there has been a lapse in communication, nobody could ever deny that. We should in hindsight also have tested more use cases on more platforms as the changes in the undocumented and unsupported parts of the OS we interface to (you are a developer: try to find the graphics DDK for OS X) have been much more than what seemed at first sight.

On the other hand, if a software is resulting in an atrocious user experience with version 10.8.0 of the OS and exactly the same software has a much better user experience with 10.8.2 (5 critical OS bugs fixed up to now, 6 to go), how shall we define its quality? On my system I have only 1 issue left for example and I know it's another OS bug.
You also have to consider that the same exact issues are also reproducible (on the same systems) even with the other Miracle Devices often mentioned on the forum.
I think I'll write a separate post about the whole ML user experience.

Anyway, I wanted to reassure you about the work conditions in DisplayLink.
The dev team is fine, thanks, we are actually pretty excited about progress on the unicorn.
Our version of whipping has been a very successful week-end in the mountains to bond the team with a lot of physical exercise, laughter and good cooking. Unconfirmed reports say that alcohol played a role as well..
We have open positions by the way: http://www.displaylink.com/careers/job_board.php

Cheers,
Carlo

P.S. We might change our internal code name for 2.0, I think "unicorn" is brilliant.
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #59
andynormancx

How about at least updating this page:

http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php

so that it doesn't falsely claim that you support OSX 10.8, several people have pointed out this falsehood and yet weeks later the page still says that your driver supports 10.8, which it does not in any meaningful way.

People are STILL buying the various DL based products expecting them to work correctly with OSX 10.8
andynormancx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #60
fhall1

Gotta agree with andynormancx about the note on the driver page.....while you guys are partying in the mountains, people are still wasting money on hardware that won't work.
fhall1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
login screen, mountain lion