Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2014, 04:41 AM   #1
Michael1342562

Default Surface Pro 3 USB to HDMI blank screen

I am connecting my Surface Pro 3 to an external monitor with the Auvio USB to HDMI adapter. I can tell a connection with the monitor is being made because the screen turns from dark black to light black. When I change the screen resolution I am able to see a second monitor, but I can not "identify" the external monitor. I am able to drag my cursor and windows off my main display into nothing on the blank screen.

This set up worked fine with my Surface Pro 1 and for a few weeks with my Surface Pro 3. The USB to HDMI adaptor still works fine on the Surface Pro 1, and a third laptop I tested tonight.

I have attached the data generated by the Display Link Support Tool. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Michael1342562; 11-19-2014 at 02:59 AM.
Michael1342562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Can you try the following:

1. Disconnect your adapter
2. Uninstall DisplayLink software
3. Download and run this tool http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=297
4. Install DisplayLink software
5. Reconnect your adapter

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
matt5

Default Similar Issue - Surface Pro 3 - Plugable UGA-3KDP

I'm have a very similar issue with my Surface Pro 3 and Plugable UGA-4KDP DisplayPort Adapter.

Everything was working fine (I've had this adapter for 4-6 weeks) until this morning - the screen goes active but is black (monitor is active, not in power save mode).

If I go to Screen Resolution the monitor is correctly identified, and is active (set to Extend displays, not disconnected).

Windows thinks the monitor is there because I can move my mouse and drag windows into the extended area (I just can't see anything).

I've completely uninstalled the DisplayLink software (using the cleaner tool), and restarted/reinstalled - but no go, same issue.

Seems like similar issues at the bottom of this thread:
http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?p=75879
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
Michael1342562

James,

Thank you for your response. I have uninstalled, run the cleaner, and reinstalled, but still have the same problem. I have attached the file from the support tool again.

When I reconnected the adaptor, the computer recognized a new monitor connection. The screen on the HDMI connected monitor blinked from dark black (off), to a lighter shade of black which would indicate to me that a connection was made. Also, some of my windows had disappeared and I assume moved over to the new monitor.

Any other ideas? This exact set up was working not more than a week ago.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PC31221_20141118_180736.zip (980.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-19-2014, 03:05 AM   #5
casmith3

Default Same Issue

Hello,

I too am having difficulty getting my Targus docking station with DisplayLink to display my external monitors.

I have uninstalled the DisplayLink Software and installed the latest version (7.7), with no success. I then uninstalled again and installed version 7.6 M2 which also did not work, i repeated the process for versions 7.6 M1 and 7.6 M0, again no change.

I have attached the troubleshooter logs. Please advise
Attached Files
File Type: zip SURFACE02W8_20141118_230255.zip (5.14 MB, 0 views)
casmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
Michael1342562

James,

Thanks for your original response. I have completed the steps you mentioned and still have the original problem.

I did not originally include the fact that I am connecting the USB to HDMI connector through a Microsoft docking station. I have noticed a number of different posts referencing a docking station. I have attempted to use the USB on the docking station as well as the undocked computer.

Again, I have tested the Auvio USB to HDMI adaptor on other computer's and it functions as expected.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:26 AM   #7
Steve Wark

Default Displaylink to Surface Pro 3

I've got the same issue with Surface Pro 3 and Targus USB Docking station, but I also have HP USB to DVI adapter and it has same issue.

I can plug another computer into the Targus Dock and it will drive the 2 monitors with no issue (note on Targus, one monitor is via DVI and the other via HDMI). Plug the Surface Pro 3 back in and while every other expansion port on the Targus Dock works (ie USB wireless keyboard & mouse, external drives etc) the monitors display a blank screen (note the monitors appear to be receiving a signal as the indicators are solid).

The strange thing is that the Surface Pro 3 was working fine for around 2 months and just stopped working last Friday.

Has anyone got a solution?
Steve Wark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:47 AM   #8
cmergel

Default Same issue.

Also, have a SP3. After installing 7.7 M2 the secondary monitor has a blank screen. Now having issue rolling back to the previous version, which was working.........

Update:
Uninstalling and reinstalling the previous version did not work for me. The monitor continued to stay blank.
I had to do a system restore to a previous restore point (from before installing this update). Ugh!

Anyway, I am working now on 7.7 M0.

Hopefully they will be able to get a working version soon.

Last edited by cmergel; 11-28-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: update
cmergel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:27 AM   #9
cmergel

Default Anyone from support looking at these?

Anybody from support looking at these?

This latest update causes issues reported by multiple people.

Any recommendations?
Known issue?

I am running the Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock.
I was previously on DisplayLink v7.7 M0 and it was working.
When I installed v7.7 M2 the secondary monitor which is connecting using DVI cable goes black. The system thinks is operational but it is a black hole. Nothing accessing.

I went through the uninstalling and reinstalling of M0, but it acted the same. Secondary monitor black screen.
I had to run restore point to get back to before the update.

There is something wrong with this version.
Please look at this.

Last edited by cmergel; 12-05-2014 at 03:30 AM. Reason: more info
cmergel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #10
Plugable Technologies

Default Potential Fix for Surface USB Graphics Output

Double post - deleted.

Last edited by Plugable Technologies; 12-15-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Plugable Technologies is offline   Reply With Quote