Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
CodeDog

Unhappy Enable VBScript - installing DisplayLink via Windows 8 PC

When trying to install DisplayLink-7.0M2.exe I get the ERROR:

'The VBScript engine is disabled therefore installation cannot continue. Please enable VBScript engine before installation.'

Here are a FEW of the things I have tried;
  • I've tried the Microsoft FixIt from http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9648765
  • I've tried registering using regsvr32 \windows\system32\vbscript.dll (from an elevated command prompt) returns: DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.
  • I've disabled my firewall.
  • I've run the install directly FROM the CD included in the Targus Docking Station packaging
  • I've downloaded the DisplayLink_7.0M3.exe file directly from DisplayLink's website and tried running it both within the browser (IE and Chrome) as well as dropping the file onto my local hard-drive and running it from there.
  • I've read through ALL the forum messages that contain "VBScript" in the body of the message.
  • I've searched the Internet widely for other clues/solutions.
  • I can NOT find anything keeping VBScripting from running on my Windows 8 machine.

Please review the attached ZIP file, which is the output from using the DisplayLink Support Tool.
Please tell me I do NOT need to return this device to the vendor!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip BELLIOTT_PROTEC_20121226_152012.zip (269.7 KB, 2 views)
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Phone: 480.607.2888 x41
Cell: 602.363.4283
Fax: 866.944.4828

www.protecsolutions.net
CodeDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
bernie

Default McAfee

VBScript is a default component built into Windows, Vbscript is a common requirement among installers, but it can get disabled or broken.

The most common cause of this problem is because a specific version of McAfee Antivirus was installed in the past, which redirected a key vbscript dll. Then on uninstall, it doesn't put the real version back.

if that's the case, running the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool should fix it:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument...

Only if that doesn't work, do we recommend the other Microsoft FixIts, etc.
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
bernie

Default McAfee Windows 8

If you can let me know if that McAfee uninstaller works, that'd be a great help. I wouldn't have expected McAfee to still have this problem on Windows 8 -- and if it's something else, we'd like to know about it so we can be aware it might affect our customers.

(I'm not with DisplayLink - rather with another dock maker)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
CodeDog

Unhappy Still no help... rabbit chasing stinks!

Hey Bernie....

Thanks for trying to help, but this seems like a bit of a 'rabbit chasing' effort. The "removal tool" for McAfee is not actually something that you use ON your PC to remove/uninstall McAfee product, but rather a setting on/in your McAfee account to 'deactivate' those products from your machine (access their site to affect settings on your PC?). I went to the link you provided, then searched deeper for 'Removal Tool', and concluded the following link is the best solution - McAfee Removal Tool

But, NONE of that is relevant for me in that; 1) I have disabled ALL firewall and Virus software while attempting to install this DisplayLink software, 2) I uninstalled the McAfee software that came with this new PC (using Windows firewall stuff instead), and 3) this PC of mine is a Windows 8 OS (the link I show above claims the removal tool is not applicable for Windows 8).

I am still unable to install the software to enable dual display usage on my Inspiron 5520 notebook (Windows 8 OS). The software for the video drivers will just NOT install.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Phone: 480.607.2888 x41
Cell: 602.363.4283
Fax: 866.944.4828

www.protecsolutions.net
CodeDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
bernie

Default vbscript

Thanks for the additional info. The fact that McAfee used to be on this machine leaves open the possibility that this machine is still affected by the known McAfee bug where it leaves vbscript disabled, even after uninstall. Disabling or uninstalling McAfee won't bring vbscript back in these cases - McAfee has changed the Windows Registry to have vbscript point to a dummy dll.

Unfortunately, I see McAfee has changed or moved their download page for their "McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool" cleanup tool.

Another quick way to check if vbscript is disabled, is to run this simple command from a command line. If vbscript is enabled it will return "vbscript enabled":
echo Wscript.echo "vbscript enabled" > test.vbs && cscript test.vbs

If it returns an error, vbscript is still not enabled on this machine.
If it returns "vbscript enabled" then DisplayLink's installer must have some extra dependencies.

Would you be able to run this line? And does it report vbscript enabled, or some other error?

Thanks for this help in understanding what you're seeing!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
spacklewoof

Default I had same issue

I had the same issue and Dell's answer was to flatten the machine and start over. They could not solve the vbscript error either. I know that is not a lot of help, but I just wanted to share my experience with this issue. I tried many windows fix its and forum tricks to try and re-enable vbscript, but to no avail.
spacklewoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enable vbscript, vbscript, windows 8