Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.4 Software Release

Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
hheimbuerger

Default Testing results: Left 4 Dead 1

Disclaimer: I didn't expect this to work well at all (it did work much better than I expected), this isn't a use case you need to support and I neither expected it to work nor intend to use it regularly.

Specs: Win7 x64, Windows 7 Basic theme, DL-195 as primary, driver version 5.4.25778.0, internal notebook display as secondary, extended display mode, i5 540M.

Intro: I hear the intro's audio, but the screen stays blank, with the Windows taskbar still shown. As soon as I press ESC (abort the intro), I see the frame of the video at the time I aborted (in sync with the audio). Now the taskbar disappears and it's really fullscreen.
This is similar to the problem I have with Flash videos (YouTube) in fullscreen, the screen also stays blank there until I open the context menu (both on 5.3 and 5.4).
EDIT: Surprisingly, this seems to be fixed when turning Aero on, both the intro movie and the Flash issue.

Menu and game: Switched to 1920x1200. Performance is okay. Quality is sub-par, but what you could expect from no GPU, I guess. The only really problematic part here is some constant flickering. It barely flickers if you don't move, but as soon as you do move, it flickers a few times per second.
It is as if you can occasionally see the outside world (the background) instead of the walls of the building you're in. I think I can see the sky there. It's a bit hard to see, because that alternative overlayed image really appears just for maybe one or two frames at a time.
There's definitely a correlation between moving your viewport and the flickering. It does also happen occasionally when you don't move, but it happens maybe five times per second when you are turning or moving.

Task switching: Switching out from the game while in fullscreen mode seems to kill it every time. (The game, it doesn't seem to affect the driver, i.e. I can keep with other apps without problems afterwards.)

Still pretty impressive.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
PaulJ

Hi hheimbuerger,

Thanks for providing this feedback. As per your disclaimer, I don't expect this to work well either. Although 5.4 adds improved DX10 and 11 game support I think Left 4 Dead 1 only uses DX9 and as such is not officially supported.

I have seen the exact issue you report, the constant flickering, in other DX9 games unfortunately. I have an idea about what the problem is but as yet have not verified this and as currently DX9 games are not supported I cannot make any claims about when or if this may be fixed by a future DisplayLink software release.

Sorry the news is not more positive, but thanks again for leaving your message.

Regards,
Paul