Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.4 Software Release

Old 08-06-2010, 05:29 AM   #1
fuzzyjello

Default Screen turns on and off repeatedly never stays on

Hi,

Just tried to install my USB 2.0 UGA adapter from monoprice on Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)

Initially installed the drivers on the cd and though the app recognized my TV (sharp aquos) correctly it would load the image on the screen for 3 seconds then go black and cycle like that over and over never staying on for more than 5 seconds.

Tried uninstalling and installing 5.3 same result.

Then 5.4b1 and same result.

My laptop does have switchable graphics which it says can sometimes cause issues in some circumstances but I'm on the primary card and not switching. If this means I can't use it at all then what is my recourse at this point?

Any help? Support file attached.

Thanks

Brandon
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20100806_002653.zip (897.7 KB, 1102 views)
Old 08-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
fuzzyjello

I played with this a LOT more last night and tried suggestions I saw in other threads like unplugging the HDMI cable from the adapter before plugging it into the computer then plugging it in after.

The problem seems to be almost intermittent. Sometimes it'll come on and stay that way and other times it just blinks on and off every 3 seconds or so.

I also notice that though the resolution is output at 1920x1080 over HDMI the image which appears on the TV is not actually the right size (The start menu is cut off for example) I can adjust the position on the TV but not the size itself.

I also find that it "works (with the blinking)" in 2 of my USB ports but doesn't in 1 of them (blank screen).

I really thought from all the terrific reviews about this product I'd be able to just plug it in and go but at the moment I'm trying to figure out how to return it because it's not even remotely functional without some assistance.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
mojario

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I bought the same product.
However running on win7 x64 with the latest drivers/beta driver I'm only getting 'no signal' on my tv.
Tried to use it on my laptop and I get the problem you've encountered of a flickering screen. Its also running windows 7 but 32bit.

I'm also disappoint in what seems to be a lack of tech support in the forums?
But we'll see.. So far really not happy.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
fuzzyjello

Okay so no response in over a week.

In all honesty it could be the product we've purchased rather than the device drivers but it would be nice if SOMEONE would look at the error logs and let me know that.

I suspected it had to do with the switchable graphics on my laptop so I said, meh I'll just use it on a different laptop I had kicking around since I mostly wanted it to stream online video to my tv anyway.

So last night I tried that and it did the same thing on that computer.

When it does display it's not the right size on that either (ie 1080p output is detected by the tv but only a fraction of the start menu is visible.)

The BIG problem is that if it's a defective device the window to replace it has vanished while waiting for the driver tech support.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Pawel

Hi,

First of all, apologies for late reply. By looking at the logs and the system details, you are on Windows 7, but using a primary graphics driver from August 2009.

Graphics Driver: 8.641.1.1000 Dated 2009-08-24

I suspect that this is the problem and updating the primary graphics will fix the issue you're seeing.

Regards
Old 08-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
fuzzyjello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
Hi,

First of all, apologies for late reply. By looking at the logs and the system details, you are on Windows 7, but using a primary graphics driver from August 2009.

Graphics Driver: 8.641.1.1000 Dated 2009-08-24

I suspect that this is the problem and updating the primary graphics will fix the issue you're seeing.

Regards
I am using the most recent version of my graphics driver available. (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-73641) There has been one update to the driver since the one I'm suing but it was not intended for the versions of the card with switchable graphics.

I have also tried the unit (and even a replacement unit) on three different computers at this point all with exactly the same result.

The first time I use it on any machine the resolution size looks correct and then it starts the blinking. Once I restart the computer it then will continue to blink but also have the resolution issues in which it doesn't output the correct size (ie says it's outputting at 1080p but actually looks like only the 640x480 pixels in the middle of the screen)

I can try to get the logs from a different computer with more recent drivers also having the same problem but those are the most recent available for mine that I am aware of.