Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
jbirch

Default Problem controlling monitors independently using DP1.2 daisy chaining

Hi, I am using the new Humanscale M/Connect and I have displaylink 7.9.1488 currently installed. My Surface Pro 3 has 2 X Dell U2414Hb connected to it using DP1.2 in daisy chain mode. The 3 monitors are recognized as separate monitors when connected directly to the Surface Pro. As soon as I connect the laptop to the M/Connect and use displaylink it only recognizes the 2 Dell monitors as a single monitor. The 3rd monitor has a picture but it is a mirror of the 2nd monitor. I have tried this on multiple devices using Win 7 and Win 10 with the latest firmware and get the same result every time. I have attached the appropriate logs from the Surface Pro 3 for reference. Any help is much appreciated since we need to resolve this before rolling this out to the rest of our user community.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SURFACE3_20160412_095405.zip (1.14 MB, 1 views)
jbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Hello,
DisplayPort daisy chaining requires Multi-Stream Transport (MST) which is not supported by the DisplayPort transmitter, chips or firmware, used by Humanscale in their product.

The user guide page 15 mentions their dock is DisplayPort 1.2.
MST was introduced in DisplayPort 1.3 but is not supported by all devices doing DP 1.3.

This is not a driver only limitation but a hardware one.
I am sorry but DP MST will never be possible with this product.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
jbirch

I hate to disagree but MST was introduced in displayport 1.2 per the post on Wikipedia that you sent me -

DisplayPort version 1.2 was approved on 22 December 2009. The most significant improvement of the new version is the doubling of the effective bandwidth to 17.28 Gbit/s in High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) mode, which allows increased resolutions, higher refresh rates, and greater color depth. Other improvements include multiple independent video streams (daisy-chain connection with multiple monitors) called Multi-Stream Transport.

The two Dell monitors have DP1.2, the Surface Pro 3 has DP1.2 and using them directly without using the M/Connect or DisplayLink they work just fine. I am investigating with Humanscale at the same time in regards to the hardware which it might still be but it should work using DP1.2 per their hardware specs.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Thank you for the information.

The DisplayLink chip connected to your computer at the time you took the log is a DL3900.
That chip does not DisplayPort itself but use an external transmitter.

I was wrong on when MST was introduced, but our chip still won't send an MST as we support DisplayPort 1.1 max. I doubt the DP transmitter does MST.
"Dual Mode" in the guide should mean you can use a passive adapter to get HDMI. I think the note in the right column refers to the maximum resolution available on the dock. You can use two outputs simultaneously (DP+another), but the maximum resolution on the DP output will drop because of the maximum pixel clock the chip can manage

DisplayLink does not design or manufacture end products, we are a semiconductor company.
I recommend you contact Humanscale for clarification on what they designed their product to do.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
jbirch

Thank you very much Alban for the information. Knowing the chipset info for the Humanscale definitely gives me more information and seems to suggest that based on the 3900 specs it will not support DP 1.2. I will continue to follow up with Humanscale to get confirmation.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Tags
daisy chain, dp 1.2