Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
itadmincrbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultzirides View Post
(Emphasis mine)

The previous statement is an example of what is wrong with the mindset of the DisplayLink software developers. I don't think it's a good idea to tout how effective your software is on an old operating system. Writing software against Windows XP doesn't get a developer a round of applause, no matter how innovative it is. Likewise, saying that you are "actively developing" for 10.8 leads me to believe that someone in a leadership position there has their priorities broken. 10.8 is an old OS. New Apple workstations will be sold with 10.10 or newer. They will not downgrade to 10.8. Devoting time and resources to develop for 10.8 is completely irresponsible.

You need to keep up with the times. Currently, it appears that DisplayLink is suffering from some sort of "change aversion", and the feeling of "It worked just fine using older software, why can't we just keep using that?" seems to be permeating the discussion.

The fact of the matter is that Apple has updated its operating system, and that has affected the way that the DisplayLink drivers interact with the OS. Whether they deprecated some APIs that DL was using, or DL was using private APIs it should never have been using is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that DL doesn't work as expected in 10.10.

What is the expected functionality, then, for 10.10? Is it a single DL-connected display? Is it multiple? What can we expect in terms of performance, display corruption, crashing?

Pointing fingers just won't do. This is your product, and as consumers of your product, seeing you shrug your shoulders and say "not our problem" is very upsetting. Adjust your attitude toward your customers, and give us clearer information please.

-Paul
Paul-

I'm in 100 percent agreement. I just upgraded to Yosemite and so many things are broken.

I'm not sure how a company like Epson can have drivers ready for 10.10 but a company like Display Link cannot even write drivers for Mavericks and earlier when we're already on Yosemite.

Yeah that's right Displaylink, Epson had their 10.10 drivers ready the day the OS was released like it should be.
itadmincrbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
D43m0n

Bravo, I couldn't have said this better. I totally agree with this point of view.

A great hardware product with great potential is ruined by ignoring software (the stuff that makes the world go round). I will personally never buy a Displaylink product again. And where applicable, I will from now on advise against using Displaylink products.
D43m0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi All,

I would be extremely surprised if printer drivers were affected by the bugs introduced in the graphics APIs since Mavericks.

Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
uptownchi

Default I side with Apple on this one

Displaylink gurus,

So I see that the official word is Apple is blaming third party drivers. You have one of two options here:

1.) Fix your driver
2.) Use another framework. (I.E. piggyback off an existing technology)

I am a huge fan of your devices. When I saw them perform on Windows I was blown away. I have wanted one of these devices for over a year now.

Read between the lines here. I blame you and solely you on this one. Is that bad? Not really. It is actually a GOOD thing if you read (past tense) between the lines.

Apple has a great technology already for this very thing. I am debating if I should have spent the $$ and upgraded my Apple TV 2 and gotten a second AppleTV 3. I may actually move away from this for the Mac and move to Apple TV. :-) It's redundant though. I'd be hooking my monitor into the device then wireless sending a signal to it over airplay. It's fast. it supports OpenGL...

Now if only someone was capable of making a device that could do airplay over HDMI... you know like streaming a video signal to a device.

Too bad your device doesn't steam video to a device over USB 3.0. Man if it did then you'd be one step closer.

Oh well. I will wait for a better driver. In the mean time.... see my next post. Keep making great products too. This still is - hands down - an incredible piece of technology.
uptownchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:05 AM   #15
DLNinja

I have many, many (almost a dozen) DisplayLink products. Last week I purchased a portable HDMI (yes, portable) monitor and haven't looked back. My MBP Retina happy again
DLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
cantera

@DLNinja: That sounds awesome. How is the DL performance on your OS version? Wasn't aware of an HDMI portable like that.
cantera is offline   Reply With Quote