Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2016, 03:19 AM   #1
JMAP

Default ChromeOS + USB 3.0 - When?

As an avid ChromeOS user (work & personal), the recent updates available in v46 has enabled usb 2.0 displaylink hubs to be a viable option. Issues with this;
  1. most USB 2.0 docks only allow for a single screen. Not appropriate for most corporate offices by today's standard
  2. USB 2.0 docks are not common - everything is coming out USB 3.0
Does anyone @ displaylink know if this is something either Google and/or Displaylink are working on? Is it even possible (i.e. drivers are available for Google to take on)?

Would be great to hear what is possible and who'se court this is sitting in atm (ChromeOS or Displaylink that it)
JMAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Wim

Hi

Chrome OS is something we want to support, and are looking into how this can be done. However we do not have any public announcement on this at the moment.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
JMAP

Wim,

Thank you for the response.

I know there is an open feature request with Google whereby they are actively looking for ways to make this happen;

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...tail?id=572763

I know we (i.e. my employer) personally see this as a great enhancement to the ChromeOS offering and is one of the current main detractors from progressing this further from an office productivity perspective. Being able to provide staff with the same equipment of their existing configuration where each desk has 2 screens via a usb3.0 Targus dock would push the conversation along far smoother.

Is there anyway your team could reach out and make contact with the engineering team there to progress this forward (if not already of course)?
JMAP is offline   Reply With Quote