Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Windows 8 Software

Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
george_edison

Default For anyone using an Nvidia card with Windows 8.

For the sake of those who run into the same problem in the future:

Problem: I have an Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS card on my Windows 8 machine. I also have a DisplayLink monitor and I decided to plug in and try it out. Unfortunately the screen remained blank - not only that but the Nvidia driver stopped working and Windows reverted to the default display driver. The device manager informed me that the Nvidia driver wasn't working and the DisplayLink monitor didn't show up at all.

Solution: It seems that I had a slightly outdated driver installed and simply heading over to the Nvidia website and grabbing the latest version was all that was needed. After a quick installation and restart, everything worked perfectly!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
JonD

Thanks for the clear post on this issue.

This is actually a known issue that we (DisplayLink) discovered during our testing and is mentioned in the readme in the known issues section. The unfortunate thing is that the NVidia drivers currently shipped with the latest Win 8 preview are old and experience the problem you describe so I suspect a few more people will run into this until the supplied drivers are updated by MS.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Morveus

Which version of the driver did you use ? I tried several different drivers from nVidia (including the latest) and just can't use the DisplayLink driver : my screen stays black, only the mouse cursor is visible (showing the circle hourglass), then the screen goes on and off repeatedly.

Any idea ?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
itdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morveus View Post
Which version of the driver did you use ? I tried several different drivers from nVidia (including the latest) and just can't use the DisplayLink driver : my screen stays black, only the mouse cursor is visible (showing the circle hourglass), then the screen goes on and off repeatedly.

Any idea ?
yes i get the same problem, i am using the 64bit version of window 8
Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
JamesH

Morveus & itdave,

Can you please post the debug logs when you see the issues you mention?
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Please also clarify what version of Windows 8 you are using.

Thanks,
James
Old 03-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Morveus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Morveus & itdave,

Can you please post the debug logs when you see the issues you mention?
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Please also clarify what version of Windows 8 you are using.

Thanks,
James
I'd like to run the support tool, but after installing the driver my computer is absolutely unusable and the only thing I can do is to do a system restore. I'm trying to find a way.

I'm using the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, build 8250 (x64).

Thank you for your help !
Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
JamesH

Hi,

Thanks for trying. If you can't use the tool please zip up and post the logs from \program files\displaylink core software\debug\

Can you let me know the specs of the computer you are using?
i.e. Make, Model, Processor, Graphics (single GPU, dual GPU switchable or optimus). What version of the Nvidia driver are you using? Did you download it from Windows Update or from the Nvidia site?

Please also confirm what DisplayLink device you are using and how it is connected: USB2 or USB3 and what monitor / TV you are using.

Thanks,
James
Old 03-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Morveus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Hi,

Thanks for trying. If you can't use the tool please zip up and post the logs from \program files\displaylink core software\debug\

Can you let me know the specs of the computer you are using?
i.e. Make, Model, Processor, Graphics (single GPU, dual GPU switchable or optimus). What version of the Nvidia driver are you using? Did you download it from Windows Update or from the Nvidia site?

Please also confirm what DisplayLink device you are using and how it is connected: USB2 or USB3 and what monitor / TV you are using.

Thanks,
James
Hi,

Thank you for your answer. Here you will find the zipped Debug folder.
My computer is a Clevo W860CU, with an Intel Core i7 720QM, 8 GB of RAM and an nVidia GTX 280M GPU.
I've tried all nVidia drivers I could : old versions I had on my HDD, the one from Windows Update and the latest from the nVidia site (which was the 295.73).

The DisplayLink device I'm using is a Club 3D SenseVision-2000D (DVI), and I've tried several monitors (several old Hanns.G monitors and two Acer P226HQV).

I've completely reinstalled Windows 8 between some of my tests, so the system was "clean" from a test to another.

I hope you will figure out what's going wrong

Thank you,
David
Attached Files
File Type: zip Debug.zip (156.4 KB, 728 views)
Old 03-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
Morveus

Hi,

Just a little update to tell you that it's working now !
I updated my drivers with the latest nVidia 64-bit drivers (296.17) a few minutes ago, and successfully installed the DisplayLink preview.

Thank you again for your time, I hope people who had the same problem will find a solution too !