Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
monyker

Question Hide DisplayLink Manager notification area ("tray") icon?

I use the DisplayLink Windows Installer (.msi) package (currently 8.0M3 DisplayLink_Win10RS1.msi) to deploy to my employer's Windows systems.
I would like to configure the deployment so that the DisplayLink Manager notification area / system tray icon never appears--currently it appears as soon as the package is installed, even with no DisplayLink hardware connected. I find the icon/application useless. Clicking the icon shows a menu with 3 options:
  • DisplayLink Manager
  • Audio Setup
  • Video Setup

Clicking DisplayLink Manager displays a small, About modal dialog window, displaying the name and version of the application.

Clicking Audio Setup displays the Windows Sound property sheet dialog.

Clicking Video Setup displays the Display screen of the Windows Settings app.

In other words, the DisplayLink manager notification area icon is entirely redundant, offering no information or functionality not easily accessible through native Windows features. How do I go about hiding/suppressing this notification area icon for our users? I don't want to use the Select which icons appear on the taskbar feature. The icon is already set to be "hidden" there -- it only appears when you click the arrow to show hidden notification area icons. But I don't want this icon to appear AT ALL. Unless you can convince me otherwise, it merely adds noise and adds no value. I'm familiar with Microsoft Orca. Is there a transforms approach (e.g. Property table property/value I can adjust or add) to make it so this icon never appears? I perused the Property table and other tables, but found nothing obvious to suppress this icon.

Thank you!
monyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:51 PM   #2
monyker

Oh, and I don't think the How to hide the DisplayLink UI icon in the system tray post is relevant to what I'm asking. In my situation, the DisplayLink Manager icon appears even with no DisplayLink hardware connected.
monyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #3
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Since 8.0, the DL UI icon is always displayed on the generic package or if the product manufacturer didn't disable it in their own generated packages.
This was a request from the field to be able to troubleshoot when there is an issue. The feature is not developed on Redstone but our customers requested identical behaviour on all OSes, despite not having the option yet.
If you don't want to install the UI on Redstone, simply don't, or remove it in the startup.
Not to install the UI on Redstone, use an INF based installation to only the USB device drivers.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote