Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #131
yochaigal

Just adding my 2 cents to this thread - I have a Carbon X1 (2nd gen) and I also purchased a Displaylink port replicator/dock from lenovo.
I am able to use multimonitors in Windows without issue; but not with Linux.

Why DisplayLink, why do you hate me? I'll happily never purchase a computer that uses your product again after this experience - and that includes for my clients (IT consultant for large companies). So, say goodbye to that sort of business, at least.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #132
vevmesteren

Default my two cents

I manage a team of developers as well as Security and DevOps. Bought a new Dell Sputnik for everyone of them. A couple of us bought ourselves the DELL dock in addition. Having the Terminal on 23inches is just so much nicer. Now finding ourselves with a glorified USB hub.

What a dissapointment....
Old 08-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #133
David Raymond

Default Complain on Facebook

On their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/DisplayLink.social) they stated on 10th June "Afraid there are currently no plans for desktop linux drivers". I suggest people flood that page with complaints!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #134
gilrim

Default bounty?

I'd be willing to chip in for a reverse engineering attempt, anyone know where to start something like that?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #135
FourFire

You could look through the website of this person who was already reverse engineering the devices, but dropped off the map; http://floe.butterbrot.org/displaylink/doku.php And this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci8HbCRRZvM

Good luck!
I wish I could contribute, as I also have an ASUS MB168b+ which is pretty much useless to me except as a laptable.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #136
jamesT

Disappointed that there is no linux support. Will not be purchasing or recommending DisplayLink products. period.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #137
FerdiFuchs

I'm also very disappointed that there is no linux support.
Without docking, the t440s seems useless for me!
Except a 200-Euro-USB3 HUB with integrated ethernet! wow!

Gave all the hardware for return today and claiming for refund. Lookin for other manufacturers than displaylink and lenovo.

Greets,
FerdiFuchs

--
keywords for preventing further mispurchases:
usb3 dock no linux support thinkpad displaylink docking usb no drivers professional hardware for nonprofessional use and users
Old 12-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #138
banderson5586

Haven't read all of the comments but here is my +1 for this being supported. It's been years since the first request for this has come in and people are still requesting. I find it odd that something like this, with constant customer visibility, has not been addressed. Admittedly, I have only done small amounts of research into whether or not this is possible yet but it is looking grim.

With companies like Dell releasing "Devloper" model laptops such as the XPS 13 (I purchased the XPS 12, basically the same thing but I can boot into Android so it doubles as a tablet) which natively support Ubuntu, how can this still be a question of demand? The day DsiplayLink 3.0 equipped docks support Ubuntu I will buy 2, until then I'll manage with Synergy and one small display.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #139
uter

I really like the displaydriver driver in the windows world & don't get it why there is no linux alternative Hopefuly there will be one in the near future. It's the most debated thread in this forum and there is even a petition that ran quite successful. @DisplayLink please don't ignore the linux world any longer. For me is a closed driver also ok on the linux world, like the graphic card drivers...
Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #140
AmigoNico

Default Was keeping me on WIndows

The ability to drive an additional monitor over USB 3.0 was the only thing keeping me on Windows. But Linux in a VM on a Windows host has proven painful enough that I'm giving up -- I just want Linux, not Windows.

DisplayLink, if you ever get your act together on Linux, then we'll meet again.
Closed Thread