Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
xnaron

Default Windows turns off monitors and then when they turn back on several are blank

I have 6 monitors hooked up to my windows 8.1 system. I am hooking up a 7th via evga uv39+. When windows turns my monitors off (power saving turn monitors off after xx min) 2 of my display port monitors turn back on but remain blank and will not display anything (just remains black). The evga uv39+ monitor wakes up and displays properly. My primary monitor (display port) works fine. I have tried 7.7 and 7.6 versions of displaylink and using the cleaner tool. If I uninstall displaylink software my monitors wake up fine. This is definitely related to the displaylink software/driver.

I am running i7 4770K, win 8.1 64 bit, radeon r9 280x asus video card.

Monitors are:
3x benq bl2411 on display port
1x display port to hdmi to tv
1x dvi to hdmi tv
1x dvi to hdmi tv

The monitors that stay blank are the 2 benq bl2411pt on display port that are not the primary monitor which is benq bl2411pt on display port.

Using latest amd video drivers.

Anyone see this before?

I did run the debug tool but am hesitant to post the results publicly as I have not checked if there is any private information in the results.

Video showing the issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57j0SoJMcGs

video showing no issue with displaylink unplugged and drivers uninstalled
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLWCY3f83E

Last edited by xnaron; 10-30-2014 at 06:07 PM.
xnaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
Wim

The videos are set to private so I can't see these.

This looks like an unusual use case with so many monitors. If monitors other than the DisplayLink screens are not coming on, I don't think this will be a DisplayLink issue, but due to the additional DL monitor pushing the graphics card over the edge.

Do the screens appear in Windows Display Properties? If you do a print screen, are the screens in this buffer (so the OS thinks the screens are there and rendering the desktop, but the monitors are blank?

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
xnaron

Sorry I fixed the videos. I see my other threads with the details are not visible in addition to the first post of this thread.

Please add youtube url in front of below to watch

/watch?v=HwLWCY3f83E

/watch?v=57j0SoJMcGs

Yes I do have a lot of monitors but isn't that the point of this?

Yes the monitors are still visible to windows. It thinks they are there and I can disable and enable them. This unfortunately does not make them work.

This only happens with the displaylink driver installed. Without it installed all monitors will go into low power state and return without issue (you can see in the videos)

Yes if I copy a window with printscreen on the blank monitor it does paste properly. I have tried switching inputs on the monitors and turning them off and on also. So the OS thinks they are there and is still rendering them. I will try disabling one of the video card monitors to keep the count at 6 with the displaylink and post the result. (In case this is a boundary case over 6 like you say.)

(is there any way to view my original post with all the info?) Maybe just remove the youtube links from the initial post?

Last edited by xnaron; 10-31-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Wim

Interesting... It looks like the OS knows the screens are there and drawing to them, but the graphics card is not sending it to the screens.

Does this happen if the DisplayLink screen is disconnected, but our software is still installed?

Does restarting the DisplayLink service recover it? What about if you replug the DP cable to the monitors?

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
xnaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Interesting... It looks like the OS knows the screens are there and drawing to them, but the graphics card is not sending it to the screens.

Does this happen if the DisplayLink screen is disconnected, but our software is still installed?

Does restarting the DisplayLink service recover it? What about if you replug the DP cable to the monitors?

Thanks

Wim
Yes it still happens if the displaylink is disconnected and the driver is still installed.

Unplugging the display port cable does not work either.

I will look for the displaylink service and try stopping and starting it to see if it works.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
xnaron

Checked and stopping and starting the displaylink service doesn't help.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:55 AM   #7
Saturn2888

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnaron View Post
I have 6 monitors hooked up to my windows 8.1 system. I am hooking up a 7th via evga uv39+. When windows turns my monitors off (power saving turn monitors off after xx min) 2 of my display port monitors turn back on but remain blank and will not display anything (just remains black). The evga uv39+ monitor wakes up and displays properly. My primary monitor (display port) works fine. I have tried 7.7 and 7.6 versions of displaylink and using the cleaner tool. If I uninstall displaylink software my monitors wake up fine. This is definitely related to the displaylink software/driver.

I am running i7 4770K, win 8.1 64 bit, radeon r9 280x asus video card.

Monitors are:
3x benq bl2411 on display port
1x display port to hdmi to tv
1x dvi to hdmi tv
1x dvi to hdmi tv

The monitors that stay blank are the 2 benq bl2411pt on display port that are not the primary monitor which is benq bl2411pt on display port.

Using latest amd video drivers.

Anyone see this before?

I did run the debug tool but am hesitant to post the results publicly as I have not checked if there is any private information in the results.

Video showing the issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57j0SoJMcGs

video showing no issue with displaylink unplugged and drivers uninstalled
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLWCY3f83E
I have the exact same system specs as you from what it looks like (Z87 mobo) and after Catalyst 14.4, I was experiencing the exact same issue.

At the time, my system was running a 3 monitors + 2 DisplayLink. I haven't tested it recently, but in testing, I had it down to a single DVI connection and a single DisplayLink display and had the same issue.

I worked around it by uninstalling the DisplayLink drivers and unplugging my DisplayLink monitors :/. No much of a solution, but it stopped the problems and allows newer games to be played. For a very long time I kept using the 14.4 drivers but those drivers have issues in various games. I ended up buying another monitor to compensate the loss of my two DisplayLink monitors until this is fixed.

I've emailed AMD multiple times over the course of the last year, and they've shown no indication that they actually understand the issue's on their end and that something changed in their drivers after 14.4.

I tested this by completely removing the DisplayLink Core drivers and it worked. Then I installed them; again, no problem. Once I plugged in a DisplayLink monitor, then this blackout issue started occurring. Even after unplugging the DisplayLink monitor I again had the same issue. The only monitors that actually function after this occurs are the DisplayLink monitors.

Last edited by Saturn2888; 03-12-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Saturn2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:20 AM   #8
Saturn2888

I looked at the latest release and didn't see a fix for this. From my perspective, I don't know if AMD is the issue here or DisplayLink. I am cautious to buy either product in the future now that two of my monitors and an external adapter longer function as they did when I purchased them just because of a graphics driver update.
Saturn2888 is offline   Reply With Quote