Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Hesei

Default UV Plus 39 - DL 6.3 and GTX 560

EDIT: My bad. I only just noticed that my thread title is pretty useless. Can't edit is, so... sorry?

Just switched back over to an NVIDIA card and threw in a USB 3.0 DisplayLink to fill out the third screen. Hate that DisplayPort crap ATI seems to love so much. Anyway, I can't seem to get the DisplayLink to work... at all.

The tray icon never comes up, even when opening it directly.

Device Manager lists the device as such:
USB Display Adapters
  • 100-U3-UV39
  • DisplayLink Display Adapter (4300)
And the only things running in the Task Manager are these two.
  • DisplayLinkManager.exe under SYSTEM
  • DisplayLinkUserAgent.exe under SYSTEM

Here are some of the events listed in the Local Event Viewer under Custom > Administrative Events.

OLDEST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Source: RestartManager
Error: "Application or service 'DisplayLinkUI Sys-Tray Application' could not be shut down."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Source: Service Control Manager
Error: "The DisplayLinkManager service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly."
Quote:
Error: "The DisplayLinkManager service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds: Restart the service."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Source: RestartManager
Warning: "Application 'C:\Program Files\DisplayLink Core Software\DisplayLinkUI.exe' (pid 5460) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID.."
Quote:
Error: "The DisplayLinkManager service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly."
NEWEST

Of course, I've looked into the Interactive Services Detection... service and haven't found a problem.

Here's my system
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
MB: Asus Sabertooth P67
CPU: Intel Core i5 3.30GHz
GFX: EVGA GeForce GTX560
and the USB 3.0 is the onboard stuff - comes up as Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host
and I'm running the latest NVIDIA drivers: 301.42

I know that there seem to be many issues with 6.3, but I didn't see all of this info in some of the other threads. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've had to deal with DisplayLink craziness in the past with varying degrees of success, but this is my first experience with any USB 3.0 device, and the first time I've had a tray icon issue without the system directly telling me about a driver conflict.
I'll keep playing around and update this post/thread with any developments.

Last edited by Hesei; 07-03-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Hesei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Usacad

Hi Hesey,

I also have a GTX560 card and have problems with 6.3, but 6.2 works ok. Have a look at this thread (another bad title) and see if it helps you: http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1786
Usacad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
Hesei

Hey thanks for the link. I had been going down the line of older versions, however, I have now gotten SOME success with 6.3... except I'm limited to 800x600... on a 16:10, 28" screen... not in a good mood.

I got all the drivers uninstalled and made sure all the software was cleared with 2 reboots.
Then I made a restore point (I did originally, but there have since been other programs I've reconfigured).
Then I started running down the process of installing, rebooting, attaching the adapter, and then attaching the screen (via HDMI).

Here's how I have it working now:
6.2 worked, briefly. I got a flash of 1920x1200, then the screen died (not blank, I mean it was off), but the status light was blue (orange if no signal = standby).
I could bring the resolution down to 800x600, but it would go blank again after a minute or two.
Reboot.
No screen -> Tray Icon displayed an update -> ran that.
Got some flashes again.
Ran 6.3 installer. This did something terrible to the machine. I have no idea what exactly, but the NVidia driver was killed, and then it kept trying to start again for 4 minutes or so. It finally came back up, though, with a blank DisplayLink screen.
Did some rebooting and fiddling with the connection (unplug/plug) and now I have an 800x600 screen.

The screen work fine. I can connect it to either port of the 560 and get any resolution I can on the other one -> I've got two HANS-G HG281D and a Dell Ultrasharp U3011 in the center.

Gonna keep playing around and looking at the Event Manager. There has to be something causing an issue, somewhere.

EDIT:
WORKING! ~ish
So, I have to listen for the Windows log in screen and log in blind .
I have to CTRL + ALT + DEL, enter my username, TAB, enter password, and hit enter. I occasionally need to wait and hit enter again. It seems like the 560 diver dies at startup and then kicks back in after login... beats me. But it has now survived several reboots and STAYED at 1920x1200. So it's now working... 95% of the time?
I'm running The Dark Knight at 1080p without issue over a USB 3.0 monitor right now!

So... I don't think any of what I've documented here is going to help... anyone. One thing I can tell you is that changing the DisplayLinkManager service's Log on settings to disable desktop interaction did absolutely nothing. So if you've been Googling around and read that somewhere, forget it.

And since I mentioned it in the first post, here's what I have in Task Manager, now.
  • DisplayLinkManager.exe under SYSTEM
  • DisplayLinkUI.exe under [my username]
  • DisplayLinkUserAgent.exe under SYSTEM

To the DisplayLink crew, I'm looking forward to your next update... please stop my blind log-ins!

Last edited by Hesei; 07-04-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Hesei

Just an update on this: it has not worked.

Seems like I can't keep the screen running solid for longer than 6 hours. After that, there's no sure-fire way to get it back online.

I have wound up trying 6.2 again, with greater success. I can generally get the screen to show at 800x600, but that is rather hit or miss. Bringing it up to 1900x1200 generally results in a "dead" screen - no power to the screen, but a blue signal light.

I know the team is working on a new release, how is that going?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Wim

We have the new beta now... Can you try downloading 7.0 from our website:

http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php

And see if this solves the issues? I hope it will...

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
Hesei

Sorry for my delayed reply. Thank you, but that's a negative on 7.0. Same issues, only my NVidia driver seems to die a few more times when I disconnect/connect the UV+.

I'm going to hook up another screen and see how stable it is. Also, I'll shorten the HDMI cable length a bit. Shouldn't be an issue, but it's worth a shot.

One thing about 7.0, however, it seems to flicker in more often, which never happened, previously. So I think we're moving in the right direction.

It's stable at 1920x1200 for the moment, but let's see if it can last.

Thanks for the help, and good luck to you guys. This can't be an easy thing to fix!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Hesei

Yeah, no go. It lasted a short while after that post, but the NVidia driver started crashing a lot. By this morning, it was too much, so I've disconnected it.

Uh... does this ever work well on 64 bit systems with NVidia. That seems to always be a problem, these days. I have no trouble getting this running on 32-bit systems. And I always attribute dock problems to being on a USB hub, but now that I think of it, everyone tells me they tend to just plug the monitor into the computer after a while.

Last edited by Hesei; 07-18-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Wim

Can you post your log files, as described here, so we can see your system spec:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Hesei

I'll get on it sometime this week. Thanks. I was kinda wondering where the logs were coming from!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
Hesei

Or now. Here it is. This goes through an NVidia crash and the monitor finally working at 800x600, then moved to 1920x1200. It sorta flickered on and off, then came on by the time the log was done. It was off again, after that.

EDIT: how have I still not changed the name? I have an i5 and full ATX, now...

Thanks and good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: zip I7CUBE_20120718_073052.zip (966.5 KB, 1 views)