Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > iPad Application
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
Jtn

Default Issue with "Optimize for Video"

I know that the Optimize for Video option is supposed to decrease the quality of the image on the iPad, but the problem for me is that it doesn't actually decrease the quality, so when I play a video on my iPad, it's really stuttery. Occasionally when I check the box a couple times, I can see the quality decrease, but a second later it'll go back to normal, which I don't want.

Also, full screen video doesn't work on the iPad. When I try to maximize the video, the iPad screen goes blank and I see a new "Adobe Flash Player" window on my taskbar, but I can't actually open it. I can hear the sound though.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Wim

Hi

The Optimize for Video is really designed for our USB products. The problme with Full screen video on the iPad is that there is not really the bandwidth to send the video, or the CPU power on the iPad to decode the video using our protocol.

There maybe things we can do in the future to improve this, but today there just isn't the power in the iPad to do smooth full screen video.

Wim
Old 06-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #3
Jtn

Sorry if I'm interpreting this wrong, but are you saying that whatever's being shown on the iPad is actually being processed by the iPad? Any reason why it's not just showing a video stream of the virtual second monitor (if that makes any sense)?

One more question ><, I can't seem a way to actually exit the DisplayLink software. Just a minor quibble. Thanks again!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtn View Post
Sorry if I'm interpreting this wrong, but are you saying that whatever's being shown on the iPad is actually being processed by the iPad? Any reason why it's not just showing a video stream of the virtual second monitor (if that makes any sense)?
Yes, you're actually showing the desktop, not sending the raw video stream. The PC is decoding the video to pixels first before sending it, as its actually a Windows desktop you are sending.
Quote:
One more question ><, I can't seem a way to actually exit the DisplayLink software. Just a minor quibble. Thanks again!
There is a service that is running. If you want to stop DisplayLink, stop the DisplayLinkManager service.

Wim