Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.5 Release

Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
wuffe

Default Toshiba DynaDock ethernet issues with 1.5betas

It seems that Toshiba DynaDocks are having problems with the new 1.5beta series (in combination with Snow Leopard 10.6.1)

I'm using Toshiba DynaDock DVI and its ethernet network interface port is not detected and therefore not working when booting up or returning from sleep.

WORKAROUND:
I found out that manually unloading and loading the apple usb ethernet driver makes the Toshiba DynaDock DVI network interface work.

the following should be executed at root (sudo):

kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernet;

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEthernet.kext;

after this stunt my Toshiba DynaDock DVI network interface works as a charm - until reboot or sleeping.

/Uffe :-)
Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuffe View Post
It seems that Toshiba DynaDocks are having problems with the new 1.5beta series (in combination with Snow Leopard 10.6.1)

I'm using Toshiba DynaDock DVI and its ethernet network interface port is not detected and therefore not working when booting up or returning from sleep.

WORKAROUND:
I found out that manually unloading and loading the apple usb ethernet driver makes the Toshiba DynaDock DVI network interface work.

the following should be executed at root (sudo):

kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernet;

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEthernet.kext;

after this stunt my Toshiba DynaDock DVI network interface works as a charm - until reboot or sleeping.

Hello Uffe,

it seems that Apple changed the way Ethernet USB devices are attached. As it's a normal Ethernet USB device it should be recognized by the OS as it has been the case in 10.5.
Good to know that the driver somewhat works ( it's probably not autoloading as sleep does not work).
We'll see if Apple fixes this in 10.6.2.

Regards Patrick aka Jolly
Old 10-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
adamsrobw

Default thanks

Thanks for this workaround. my ethernet hasnt functioned with any of the beta drivers once i upgraded to snow leopard
Old 11-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
wuffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Hello Uffe,

it seems that Apple changed the way Ethernet USB devices are attached.

As it's a normal Ethernet USB device it should be recognized by the OS as it has been the case in 10.5.
Good to know that the driver somewhat works ( it's probably not autoloading as sleep does not work).
We'll see if Apple fixes this in 10.6.2.

Regards Patrick aka Jolly
Actually this just got much worse with 10.6.2 :-(

After upgrading to MacOSX 10.6.2 the USB Ethernet in DynaDock is not usable anymore. The MacOS update seems to contain an updated driver for USB ethernet:

Mac OSX 10.6.1: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernet version 2.0.9
Mac OSX 10.6.2: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernet version 2.1.0

Here is my initial observations after using 10.6.2 for about an hour or so:

The workaround that I posted for the 10.6.1 update does not seem to work anymore. OSX 10.6.2 repeatingly connects and disconnects the AX88772 device about every 20 seconds. This becomes quite evident if you have the HardwareGrowler running (HardwareGrowler shows hardware detections as Growl messages).

Right now I have no idea on how to get the DynaDock USBethernet to work with 10.6.2 - I would like to hear from anyone that finds a workaround for 10.6.2 - and I'll continue my research on this annoying topic :-(
Old 11-20-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
steverod

I was having similar problems (USB Ethernet not working) on my Kensington dock w/video. Recently I changed situations and needed to disable the DisplayLink driver entirely (I no longer had the opportunity to have dual displays on the Mac), so I uninstalled the driver and of course the USB Ethernet worked.... on 10.6.1.

Just like "wuffe" I noticed that my USB Ethernet stopped working after the upgrade to 10.6.2, even without the DisplayLink drivers. Upon reading this page:

http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html

... it appears that the fact that our USB Ethernet devices *ever* worked is more of a fortuitous event than anything else. (The AppleUSBEthernet driver is intended just for the Apple device, no others.)

On the bright side, the driver linked there is open source and at least for the moment is working on my Kensington dock. So I have good old eth2 back!

Anyways, this might help you and anyone else in this boat.

Just to clarify: I have NOT tried the above USB Ethernet driver with the DisplayLink driver (as I said, I'm not using DisplayLink right now). I'm just saying this might help those of you in the no-USB-Ethernet camp.

Last edited by steverod; 11-20-2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Clarify that the driver linked to hasn't been tested with DisplayLink drivers.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
wuffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverod View Post
Anyways, this might help you and anyone else in this boat.

Just to clarify: I have NOT tried the above USB Ethernet driver with the DisplayLink driver (as I said, I'm not using DisplayLink right now). I'm just saying this might help those of you in the no-USB-Ethernet camp.
Great news thx - I failed to find a similar driver - tried and gave up.

From my understanding the devices inside the displaylink docks are individial and independant devices on the same USB bus.
The displaylink driver only supports the displaylink-chip/device - it knows nothing of the ethernet, audio and serial devices contained in the same dock-housing.

I'm just about to install the driver that you've pointed me to - and I do not expect any problems (referring to the description above).

Thanks

Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
yackerena

Why am I being asked to install ethernet controller everytime I start computer when there is none installed? In my device mananger, it shows a ethernet controller in pci slot 2, thats not working. There is nothing in slot 2, however, evertime I start my computer it wants me to install drivers for it. Please help. I do have a wireless adapter that is installed and working, under network adapters. This ethernet controller that I dont know about is showing up under other in device mananger.

Last edited by yackerena; 12-16-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
djt

Default Dynadock ethernet port

I had the same problem with the Dynadock U. The ethernet port was not recognized after upgrading to Snow Leopard 10.6.4. It worked fine with 10.5. I got it to work for a while using the technique described above under 10.6.3, but that seemed to stop working under 10.6.4. I also tried the technique shown at http://plugable.com/2010/06/16/worka...-usb-ethernet/ , which is basically just a script to automatically call the commands above.

I don't know if it is something related to trying these work arounds, or if the Dynadock coincidentally broke while trying to get the driver working, but now the usb-ethernet device is not even showing up in the System Profiler. I even tried to see if the ethernet port worked on a windows computer (both XP and 7), and both of those show an unrecognized USB device, but no USB-Ethernet devices. I did a fresh install of the drivers on both windows machines. I now have to use a separate USB-to-Ethenet adapter attached to the Dynadock so I can have network connectivity.