Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 04-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
aiguofer

Default Device reliability

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a dock for my home office to easily switch between work (ThinkPad T530, Fedora 23) and personal (Sager, Arch) laptops. I'm looking at the startech dock for two laptops, which uses DisplayLink - DL-5900.

Maybe no one here has tried that specific dock, but have people found general differences between how well certain devices work? does it depend on the brand itself or just the DisplayLink device that it uses? If someone does have experience with that device, how well did it work?

Thanks!
aiguofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Name_Random

Default Incompatible Drivers

I attempted to install the drivers for the Startech USB3SDOCKDD in Ubuntu 14.04.4 and 15.04 without any success for monitor connections. It will connect other USB devices on that docking station, but nothing else.

If anyone has any success with this or with Ubuntu 16.04 when it is released, please let me know.

Thanks.
Name_Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:14 AM   #3
aiguofer

Default Success

So I pulled the trigger on USB3DDOCKFT (the one with dual laptop connections) and everything seems to be working mostly fine! The Fedora install seems to be a bit more stable than the Arch one.

The only issues I have are some traces of the mouse cursor, the sound seems to lose some bass through the dock, and when I switch back to my home laptop (arch install) the image on my large external monitor shrinks. If I mess with the Gnome display settings it fixes it, so the fastest way is to open my laptop and close it again.

The other problem I have is that I don't have redshift thought this would be a dealbraker, but I've manually removed some blue light from the monitors and I have a filter on my glasses so it's been bearable.
aiguofer is offline   Reply With Quote