Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > Closed - Basic Graphics Theme Rendering

Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
philg

Default External monitor still not being redrawn correctly

OK, let's see if I can attach all the information you need and also explain what I am seeing AFTER installing this Alpha release

All seems to work fine with an Aero scheme

BUT when I switch back to a Basic scheme things are still not working quite right

I am now working with the external monitor DUPLICATING my laptop screen

When I switch back to a Basic theme, the external monitor is now completely blank/black

When I move my cursor, a "trail" is left painting what should be on the screen. This happens with ALL graphics - not just the applications that were causing problems before

SO, things are now (if anything) worse than they were!

BUT at least I can work with an Aero theme for now

Hopefully this alpha release will improve

Phil G

PS Is there an easy way to revert to the old release??

PPS I am happy to work with you to try and resolve this issue with Windows 7 Basic themes
Attached Files
File Type: zip PHILS-XPS15_20120227_151124.zip (653.4 KB, 892 views)

Last edited by philg; 02-27-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
philg

OK

I just discovered that there are new USB3 drivers on the Dell website

I have applied these, but if anything this has made the situation worse - now the external monitor just gets "rubbish" drawn on it

If I use a USB2 port, I'm back to the "painting with the cursor" behaviour unless I use an Aero theme

New debugging info attached

Phil G
Attached Files
File Type: zip PHILS-XPS15_20120227_183000.zip (657.5 KB, 1009 views)
Old 03-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
philg

Can I assume that someone has actually looked at the diagnostics I uploaded a week ago?

All I have heard is a deafening silence

Phil G
Old 03-06-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
Catalyst

Default Same sort of issues here

G'day Phil,

We're having much the same problem here on my end. We've got over 130 of the DynaDock V docks from Toshiba which use the DisplayLink chips and we have loads of issues with them.

Issue 1) Image Freezes on Dock - Requires power cycle to clear the image.

Issue 2) Any graphics processing is incredibly slow on external monitor running anything other than projector only display settings and/or win 7 basic theme.

We're going to do a limited release of the Alpha driver and see how it goes. Did it work at all for you?

Cheers,
Col
Old 03-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
philg

Thanks Col

With the alpha release (which I now have installed 'cos I can't figure out how to go back to the GA release I had before!) everything seems to work wine with an Aero sceme (this is Win 7)

But with a classic theme, not good at all

The GA release draws everything OK apart from Media Player and Live Messenger windows

The alpha release doesn't draw anything OK at all - just seems to put repeated garbage in horizontal lines across the screen

Happy to help with the next iteration though

Phil G
Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
Wim

Hi

We have been trying to reproduce this, but not been able to - even using a machine of the same spec.

Is it possible to take a picture of the corruption you see with the horizontal lines on the screen? Also, have you had any other USB graphics drivers installed at any time? Its a long shot, but could explain what you are seeing.

Thanks

Wim
Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
philg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hi

We have been trying to reproduce this, but not been able to - even using a machine of the same spec.

Is it possible to take a picture of the corruption you see with the horizontal lines on the screen? Also, have you had any other USB graphics drivers installed at any time? Its a long shot, but could explain what you are seeing.

Thanks

Wim
Of course, Now I can't reproduce it either

What I am now seeing is that under a classic theme, the borders of the windows seem to be draw OK (ALL windows that is) but the content only gets drawn, in 1/2 " squares, when I move the cursor around the screen

I've attached three photos

DSCF4488 shows the screen immediately after I switch to the external monitor ONLY - Window edges are all OK, but no content

4489 shows what happens when I move the cursor

4490 shows more of the Window content being revealed

So far as I know, the ONLY USB graphics drivers I have installed were the ones that came with my Kensington dock, updated versions of these and now your alpha release

I have upgraded the USB3 drivers themselves though, but I also see the same symptoms when I'm using a USB2 port

SO, ignore my "horizontal lines" comment - my issue is that Window contents are not drawn UNTIL the cursor moves over the window

Phil G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4488.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	641   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4489.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	642   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4490.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	643  
Old 03-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
philg

Just found something REALLY irritating

I am using some Windows session recording software, and even using Windows Aero display when I start the recorder running, I get the same symptoms as above - the screen is only redrawn as I mouse over it

I stress - this IS using a Windows Aero

I am still using the alpha drivers from this forum as no-one has told me how I can get back to the production drivers I had before. That might be a useful next step for me - Please?

Phil G
Old 03-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
philg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hi

Thanks

Wim
Any updates to this issue?

Kensington just supplied me with a second docking station just to prove this is not a hardware issue (which, of course, it isn't) so I was wondering whether there are any new drivers due to be released?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
infinidim

Wim,

Are there any updates to the Alpha release.

I find that I can now turn on Aero but there is an impact by doing that. The latest driver corrupts the sound data stream which is very strange. The machine doesn't crash but what you get is sound with "interferance" happening.

Any ideas?