Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.5 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
kickliquid

Default 1.5b4 Snow Leopard Issues

I just received a Mimo UM-710s moments ago in the mail and plugged up right away. Came to this website to install the 1.5b4 drivers and restarted and attempted to turn on the mimo display with no luck. The blue light on the side by the power button flashes when turned off and when turning on all there is a black blank screen. I then went back to reinstall the drivers thinking that 2nd try was a charm, restarted, and still no luck. I booted both into 64bit and 32 bit mode by holding '6' and '4' for 64 bit during boot up and '3' and '2' for 32 bit mode. I went back to verify i was in both modes by checking the "kernal_task" in Activity Monitor and also by checking to see if 64-bit Kernel and Extensions had said "yes" or "no". I've tried every USB port and the "nanovision MIMo" display even registers in the USB Device Tree in the System Profiler.

I even went back and installed 1.5b3 to see if the previous driver would work and still a blank screen.

Please Help!!!! I'm running out of ideas

attached are my Computer Specs and .plist file
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (21.2 KB, 714 views)
Old 09-24-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
kickliquid

Default Follow up

So I experimented around some more and finally got it working. I booted into a cloned copy of an old backup of Snow Leopard. 10.6.0 specifically and downloaded the 1.5b4 drivers and restarted and IT WORKED!!!

Unfortunately most if not all Snow Leopard users are now using 10.6.1 including me on my main machine.

this definitely has something to do with my current issues. getting closer to resolving this!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
kickliquid

Default More Observations

Also another thing i forgot to note was that In my "Cloned" Copy of 10.6.0 The folder for "DisplayLink" exists in /Library/Application Support/ but in my regular boot up (10.6.1) it doesn't exist all, So I copied the folder over from my cloned hard drive to my regular hard drive but it still didn't work. I don't know how to edit .plist files or the "NANOVISION_NAV0010-U7091310007.edid" file you have in the DisplayLink folder but I have a hunch the problem lies within that folder, now if anyone can kindly direct me to an updated folder of DisplayLink or tweaked code for the current version of Snow Leopard I'd be much appreciative.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
Admin
Administrator/Beta Program Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback we will look into this immediately.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
kickliquid

Thumbs up Resolution

So I finally managed to get my Mimo Display to work. The method and approach that I took to resolve the issue could be very problematic to others willing to try it as well as that everything works fine except one of my Applications called Miro, which is a Video Podcast App stopped working. So proceed with caution and heed my warning when I say this could potentially have detrimental effects on your system. I just happened to be lucky and it only affected one minor application for me. Thats not to say that it will cause problems you might have none at all try it out if you are desperate or just wait until the Displaylink guys write the next driver. I am hoping in writing this that it provides insight into what could be causing the problems

Anyways as previously stated in earlier posts in this thread I was tinkering around with the preference files tweaking the little code that I knew and I even copy and pasted the DisplayLink folder that didn't install when I used the DisplayLink Driver installer for 1.5b. It should have created a folder called DisplayLink in the /Library/Application Support/ but it didn't

So I decided to take a different approach. Knowing that the display worked for me in 10.6.0 due to my experimentation with a cloned backup of a previous Snow Leopard install I decided to do a custom reinstall of the "core system files". Meaning all of my preferences and application settings and media would stay the same but the core files would be reverted back to 10.6.0, it would be like taking a pimped out car and changing the engine. Everything looks the same but the engine has been reverted back to its original state. Something in my core file system must have changed during my initial 10.6.0 upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard to the 10.6.1 install.

So I booted into my Snow Leopard Disc Install, clicked through the motions of picking the Language, etc and came to the part where you can customize the install. I clicked on that and "unchecked" all the choices except for "core system files" In fact that choice is grayed out so you can't even uncheck it. Clicked next and proceeded with the install. 30 - 40 minutes later it rebooted into 10.6.0 with all of my files in tact, I came back to the Displaylink website and reinstalled the 1.5b4 drivers and rebooted one last time and Voila!!! it worked.

Feeling ballsey I deiced to experiment some more and I went to the System Preferences updater and downloaded the 10.6.1 update, restarted, and Voila!! it still worked. I was now running the Display under 10.6.1 for the first time, but of course without consequence as previously mentioned with my Miro application.

I hope this gives insight into what could be causing this issue, so that other people with the same problem can at least have a quick work around for now until new drivers/software are written to circumvent the drawbacks. If anyone wants to try this I must once again claim no responsibility on the potential problems it may cause for you as that you are reverting the "core system files" back to a previous version and it could cause some serious headaches. I was fortunate to only have minor issues and for all I know it might not even have any affect on you whatsoever.

Personally something like this always brings a good challenge for me. Im the type that loves to tinker and solve problems, it makes the solution that much more rewarding, but I can see where some people who just want it to work especially after paying $120 dollars, it can be a frustrating dilemma. Most people just want it to work right out of the box as I myself expected it too do as well, but when it didn't it gave me an oppurtunity to put on my tinkering hat. Others will be less forgiving and I hope Mimo USB Monitors get better support for their hardware in the future. I understand that it is still in a beta phase but I didn't know that intially or I might have been more apprehensive to buying it. Of course you guys are in the business of trying to sell as much of these as possible but I'm just saying I think you might want to at least display that fact and if you did then disregard this statement and I should learn to read all the fine print better but as far as I remember I don't remember anywhere it saying that the drivers were still in a Beta phase. A direct honest approach to your customer's is always the best approach I say.

Anyways if anyone has any questions or issues with how I did this work around please message me or just reply to this post as that I subscribe to this thread.

P.S. I have been running TweetDeck on my Mimo Display now fore a few days an it is fantastic!!!!!

Last edited by kickliquid; 09-27-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickliquid View Post
So I finally managed to get my Mimo Display to work. ....
Thanx a lot for the update. The Displaylink Application support folder will be created on the fly and it will be removed in the preflight during the installation of the drivers.
We will try to replicate the problem you had but currently the installation on 10.6.1 just works here.

Can you elaborate on what that Miro application you are using has problems with ? Does it write anything to Console ?

Best Regards Patrick aka Jolly