Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #81
briangig

chandler767,

I had the same thought, and was curious all day what type of workaround could get this to work. Glad to report that for the first time in a few months I have my DisplayLink device working great...

This whole problem is bizarre, because the drivers seemed to work for a month after I got it, but then started having the Finder crash issue, Login screen missing, and Flash crashing in the browser problem.

So here is what I did (this just happend, I may recreate everything later to give more details).

Install driver, reboot. Do not plug in displayport device yet (I did, but I guessed where the login button was, not sure if the results will be the same if device is not plugged in)

After login, plug in device and monitor.

Open terminal, and type:

Code:
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkDriver.kext
Logout, Login and you should be good to go.

If this doesnt work, try (your system will probably crash/Kernel Panic):

Code:
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkDriver.kext
Then startup again, login and run the kextload command above, logout and login.

If you need to reboot, try unplugging the USB adapter, then rebooting or shutting down. After login plug it in.

This entire set of instructions may be as simple as: Do not boot with the device plugged in, if you can you are missing the login buttons, and can guess, just plug in device, reload kext and logout/login.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the above..it may just be my luck..this is a '12 13" MBP, 10.8.2.

Let me know how this works for everyone..very hacky and a PITA, but maybe DL can get a workaround going in the meantime.

Last edited by briangig; 11-14-2012 at 05:09 AM.
briangig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #82
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangig View Post
chandler767,

Code:
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkDriver.kext
[...]

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the above..it may just be my luck..this is a '12 13" MBP, 10.8.2.

Let me know how this works for everyone..very hacky and a PITA, but maybe DL can get a workaround going in the meantime.
Tried to unload the kext on my vintage MBP 3.1 and got a kernel panic in com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily.

Dynamic graphics kext unloading is an old limitation in OS X, it seems to have been resolved in ML but it's evidently not reliable.
But the idea is interesting, we'll investigate further.

Cheers,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #83
docLocke

Default DisplayLink drivers BSOD (Win 7 - Parallels)

One hidden, hard-to-find FAQ item explains that DisplayLink drivers do not run in virtual machines (like VMware, Parallels).
I guess they don't. They don't even warn you--just install, and take it all down to a BSOD.
Days and days to rebuild drive from scratch.
Thanks.
I believe J5Create.com has functioning drivers (and support USB 3.).
docLocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #84
chandler767

Cool DiplayLink Mountain Lion Fix

Hey guys,
I FINALLY found a way to fix the issue with the display link monitors! Full use and all with ML and the 10.8 driver. It requires you to use a script that I have uploaded here:
http://www.c-bit.co/resources/DisplayLink.scpt
To set it up watch this video:
http://youtu.be/XJLN3LSYtMQ

**IMPORTANT Notes:**
-Always unplug your DisplayLink monitor before turning on your computer or the bug will still occur. Only plug in after you login!
-The script may still require a password after login for some people. Type it in and hit ok.
-Sorry if the video is a tad blurry.

Last edited by chandler767; 11-23-2012 at 12:42 AM.
chandler767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #85
kaci

Question Updates?

I have 150 users currently using display link and half of them have already been upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8.2. Every user that has experienced an issue has had 7-10 crashes directly caused by the display link driver. Do we have an ETA other than sometime in Q1? I can provide as many crash reports as necessary to aid in a fix.

Unfortunately, I cannot go through Chandler767's fix with all of my users. It's fine for a one person but it's not a temp-fix for a whole office.
kaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #86
Parch

Default Thanks chandler767! It works!

chandler767, thanks for fixing the problem (for me at least). Display Link should give you some $$ for your time
Parch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #87
chandler767

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parch View Post
chandler767, thanks for fixing the problem (for me at least). Display Link should give you some $$ for your time
Ha, I wish.
chandler767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #88
The_Flatline

I'm just tried briangig and chandler767's solution of the kextload and it appears to have solved the issues of Finder crashing, Login box not working and Flash crashing.

However the third screen (second external as I already have one out the mini-DisplayPort on my iMac 21.5") still isn't displaying any image and if I go to Displays in System Preferences it doesn't show anything.

The device I'm using is USB 2 HDMI from Maplin, and the product code it gives is UHD-100 U3 from running system_profiler SPUSBDataType on Terminal.
The_Flatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #89
andynormancx

Unhappy

I've fixed my Mountain Lion problems.

I've bought a 27 inch monitor and put my DisplayLink adapter in a drawer. Thanks for nothing DisplayLink

Couldn't wait any longer.
andynormancx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #90
MyDisplayLinkDoesntWork

Any fix for Projector issues?
MyDisplayLinkDoesntWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
login screen, mountain lion