View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
metalliqaz

Default DL-3900 Terrible Performance on Windows Vista

First off, I'd like to thank you for ignoring my other pleas for help. Very professional.

I'm having problems with my DL-3900 based video adapter. It is very, very slow. The main issue is a choppy mouse while interacting with the GUI.

It does work. The display looks fine, but as soon as I open a web browser and start to interact with it, it slows down so much that the mouse lag renders the additional display unusable. I mean REALLY unusable. I can't reliably click on links or read mouseover pop-ups because of the extreme lag. Video is not slow and plays just fine (for example YouTube). The problem exists in all applications. It is obvious that ANY interaction that causes the computer to "think" even a tiny bit causes the mouse to hiccup and lag so much that it can't possibly be used. Move the browser to the directly connected display and all issues disappear immediately.

When Aero is enabled the problem is at its worst. I turned off Aero and it is MUCH better. Still not great, but at least usable. I tried the same adapter on a different (older) computer running XP and it works perfect there. Is there a problem with Vista?

I have tried unplugging all USB peripherals and moving it to different ports. No difference. I've updated, rebooted, reinstalled, etc.

I have also noticed that the DisplayLink drivers seem to interfere with the operation of the normal graphics card and built-in screen. For example, if I do anything that causes Windows to ask for elevated privileges, it makes the screen on all monitors go black for several seconds. This is definitely new behavior. It also goes blank after playing video games. Also, the Asus Splendid utility seems to be overridden now.

Based on my experiments with this unit, I'm pretty sure this is a software issue. Targus includes the DisplayLink drivers unmodified. You are the experts. Please advise.

I'd prefer not to use your data collection tool on my PC and then post the results on the open internet, but here are the system details:

Targus USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Dual Video Adapter
DisplayLink drivers 6.3m0
(using USB2 -> DVI)
Asus gaming series laptop
Core 2 Duo (WEI 5.0)
Windows Vista, up-to-date
GeForce GTX 260M (WEI 5.9)
Latest up-to-date graphics drivers
metalliqaz is offline   Reply With Quote