View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #58
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8r View Post
I couldn't care less whether you call it a 1.8.x or 2.x release. I just want to be able to use my 3rd screen again. If you don't come up with a solution soon I will never find out what magic unicorn things v2.0 will do, as the displaylink adapter long will have been chucked by then.
Apart from the fact of this somewhat ridiculous support, I think your problem also is, that your user base consists of a fair share of developers and we all know how to not approach upgrade issues; mountain lion has been released for developers months and months ago and you've had plenty of time to release a working driver. Take off the note on your driver page at least, that its supposed to be working on 10.8.
Last but not least, the statement, that you're "whipping the dev team as hard as you can" gave me shivers; I'm glad I don't work for displaylink.
Don't get me wrong: I am a development shop owner myself and know how devestating Environment changes can be to resource planning, but I don't understand why management doesn't have the guts to take responsibility and officially address this issue.
Some really good points here, thank you r8r.
Yes there has been a lapse in communication, nobody could ever deny that. We should in hindsight also have tested more use cases on more platforms as the changes in the undocumented and unsupported parts of the OS we interface to (you are a developer: try to find the graphics DDK for OS X) have been much more than what seemed at first sight.

On the other hand, if a software is resulting in an atrocious user experience with version 10.8.0 of the OS and exactly the same software has a much better user experience with 10.8.2 (5 critical OS bugs fixed up to now, 6 to go), how shall we define its quality? On my system I have only 1 issue left for example and I know it's another OS bug.
You also have to consider that the same exact issues are also reproducible (on the same systems) even with the other Miracle Devices often mentioned on the forum.
I think I'll write a separate post about the whole ML user experience.

Anyway, I wanted to reassure you about the work conditions in DisplayLink.
The dev team is fine, thanks, we are actually pretty excited about progress on the unicorn.
Our version of whipping has been a very successful week-end in the mountains to bond the team with a lot of physical exercise, laughter and good cooking. Unconfirmed reports say that alcohol played a role as well..
We have open positions by the way: http://www.displaylink.com/careers/job_board.php

Cheers,
Carlo

P.S. We might change our internal code name for 2.0, I think "unicorn" is brilliant.
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote