DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Linux and Open Source (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Can't install driver on Ubuntu 17.10 (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65588)

xdannyx_ 11-03-2017 03:13 PM

Fixed for me!

I followed "Joachim Martillo"s solution and unfortunately it did not help me.

But then I followed "Wunsz"s solution and It Worked!

Thanks!

p.s.
I have 17.10 running on an ASUS laptop (intel i7 and Nvidia GTX 950M) using Asus MB168B monitor

Joachim Martillo 11-05-2017 04:53 PM

The upgrade made the kernel (vmlinuz-4.10.0-37-generic) in which I installed the displaylink driver to be the 3rd in the Grub Advanced Menu. The ordering was automatically generated. For grub to boot this kernel automatically, I put the following directive in /etc/default/grub.

GRUB_DEFAULT="1>2"

The indices of the menus all start at 0.

Thus this default says:

1. select the 2nd line in the top menu (Advanced),

2. descend into the submenu, and then

3. select the 3rd line in the submenu, which is the kernel to which I added the displaylink driver.

I have yet to find a passage in the grub manual that discusses this usage of GRUB_DEFAULT.

Update

I found where in the manual navigating submenus with GRUB_DEFAULT is almost discussed: 15.1.10 default.

edclement 01-11-2018 12:58 PM

Working Solution

After a few days of struggling, I managed to find a solution on Ubuntu 17.10. Hope this works for everyone having problems with the D6000 dock. Below format is markdown (to lazy to convert it)

## Instructions for fixing the blanking monitor on dock issue within Ubuntu.
**Make sure to reboot after making the changes!**

#### Disable USB AutoSuspend
* `sudo gedit /etc/default/tlp` and change the below value from `1` to `0`

```
USB_AUTOSUSPEND=0
```

* `sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/01-usb-dock.rules`. This will create a new file.

```
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1bcf", ATTR{idProduct}=="2b95", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1bcf", ATTR{idProduct}=="0005", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1d6b", ATTR{idProduct}=="0002", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1d6b", ATTR{idProduct}=="0003", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04d9", ATTR{idProduct}=="0143", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04f3", ATTR{idProduct}=="24a1", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="05e3", ATTR{idProduct}=="0608", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="05e3", ATTR{idProduct}=="0610", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="05e3", ATTR{idProduct}=="0620", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="06c4", ATTR{idProduct}=="c411", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17e9", ATTR{idProduct}=="6006", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
```

#### Disable Display Power Management
* `sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf` Append the below options to the file.

```
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DVI-I-3-2"
Option "DPMS" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DVI-I-2-1"
Option "DPMS" "false"
EndSection
```

#### Disable audio suspend
* `sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa`. Comment out the line indicated below.

```
### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
# load-module module-suspend-on-idle
```

#### Disale USB wake in BIOS
Boot into the BIOS by pressing the F12 key as the machine turns on. Under `Power Management` >> `USB Wake Support` uncheck both boxes.