DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Graphics performance degrades when using this driver... (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53)

Shagler 08-24-2009 11:27 PM

Graphics performance degrades when using this driver...

I have a fairly new PC with the following:

Intel I7 920
6 Gig Memory
ATI 4870 Graphics Card (Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1G)

I recently built this up with Windows 7 RC1 and the 5.2 DisplayLink software for Windows7....I have the HP USB Graphics Adapter. I found that my graphics performance was terrible on the non-DisplayLink monitors when trying to run a benchmark or a game. I completely re-installed everything so that I could test along the way and found that as soon as I installed the 5.2 DisplayLink software, graphics performance degraded to a point of unusable.

I uninstalled the 5.2 software and my graphics performance increased dramatically to expected levels.

I will have to wait to get released software that doesn't degrade the graphics performance of the rest of my system. In the meantime, I thought that this group would like to know for additional testing purposes.

Steven.

Rob 08-27-2009 12:12 PM

Hi Steven, thanks for reporting this issue, I've just tried to reproduce it, but require some more information. Can you please provide the name of benchmarking program/games you were trying to run, what version of ATI driver have you installed and which version of Windows7.

Regards,
Rob

Shagler 08-28-2009 01:02 PM

Rob,

On the benchmarking side, I tried to run 3DMark Vantage. The games were Prototype and Burnout Paradise.

I have tried both of the last two ATI Drives for Win7...I am currently on Catalyst Version 9.8.

Windows Version is 64bit (tried both RC1 and RTM).

The first install was RC1 with ATI 9.7 (or whatever was just before 9.8) with these apps. TERRIBLE 3D performance...didn't deinstall DisplayLink...thought it was something else.

Rebuilt again with RTM and ATI 9.7...everything worked great. Updated to ATI 9.8....Everything worked great. Installed DisplayLink software/driver....back to bad 3D (in those apps) performance. Uninstalled DisplayLink...everything is working great.

Steven

Rob 08-28-2009 01:53 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll get someone to have a look at the problem and will be back in touch.

Regards,
Rob

aurelius 08-30-2009 09:20 PM

driver issue

Hi all!

I would report something that -i think- could be in connection with the bug above.
At first, as always, config with drivers:
---
AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ (s939)
4x512 DDR400
Sapphire HD 3870
---
Graphics displays:
main: FSC x17-2
ext.: Samsung U70
---
Most recent ATI driver and your 5.2. OS is Win7 RC1 of course.
---
Bug desc.:

On the screen resolution window (where you can select each monitors settings, or detect/identify them), I click the Advanced settings, and on the 2nd ('Monitor') tab, however i would like to see the main monitor's details, the monitor's name is the Samsung Ubisync. But the refresh rate is the main screen's (so ok). Then I select the 2nd display (U70) in the screen res. window -> advanced settings, and the name on monitor tab is the same, but with the correct (62 Hz) refresh rate.
So, as I think, it leaves the settings for the main monitor (or at least it leaves the main points), but overwrites some details for instance the name of the display.
And if some settings of the main display are modified by the driver, it may lead to the problem mentioned by Shagler.

So far I haven't encounter any other bugs or errors, it's simply working with the Samsung SyncMaster U70 USB monitor. Next week I'll test it watchfully ;)

I'm hungarian and using english a bit rarely nowadays, but i hope you could understand my observation. :)

Could I ask about the driver's development by the way? Is there a final release coming out soon or that's months later ?

Greetings from Hungary!

Martin 09-01-2009 03:39 PM

Hi Steven.

I have analysed your issue and it appears that whilst using the benchmarking app and some games, the frame rate reduces to an unnaceptable level. I have a fix which will be made available in a future release. In the meantime, please consider emailing the Windows 7 beta email address (win7beta@displaylink.com) with your problem, as we would like to verify the fix.

Best Regards,
Martin.

Martin 09-01-2009 03:51 PM

Hi aurelius,

We are still investigating this bug and we hope to have a fix in a future release. Thank you for your interest in the driver's progress! We aim to have at least monthly updates available on the website (www.displaylink.com) and windows update through to the general release of Windows 7 in October.

Best Regards,
Martin.

Shagler 09-02-2009 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Turnock (Post 217)
Hi Steven.

I have analysed your issue and it appears that whilst using the benchmarking app and some games, the frame rate reduces to an unnaceptable level. I have a fix which will be made available in a future release. In the meantime, please consider emailing the Windows 7 beta email address (win7beta@displaylink.com) with your problem, as we would like to verify the fix.

Best Regards,
Martin.

Martin, Can you clarify your request? Do you want me to send an email to the beta address essentially restating my original post? I'm not sure I understand....

Steven

Hunv 09-05-2009 08:07 AM

Hi,
I have the same Issue.
It happens, when playing Call of Duty 5.
I have 1 GraphicCard (ATI Radeon HD 4850) with 2 Monitors (24" 1920x1200, 22" 1680x1050). ATI-Drivers 9.8.
I tried to minimize the Details but it didn't help. After uninstalling Displaylink-Drivers (Beta1) it runs on highest settings.

Zyc 09-05-2009 10:30 AM

same problem here with a ATI HD3870 and latest drivers (9.8) and as soon as i uninstall the displaylink-drivers its back to normal

Hunv 09-05-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunv (Post 245)
Hi,
I have the same Issue.
It happens, when playing Call of Duty 5.
I have 1 GraphicCard (ATI Radeon HD 4850) with 2 Monitors (24" 1920x1200, 22" 1680x1050). ATI-Drivers 9.8.
I tried to minimize the Details but it didn't help. After uninstalling Displaylink-Drivers (Beta1) it runs on highest settings.

Same problem with Beta2 drivers.
Another game with that problem is Empire Earth 2

jonathonberg 09-10-2009 08:04 PM

And again

Same problem again, but more extreme - I get the refresh problem showing up in in IE as well.

Versions:
Windows 7 Enterprise 6.1 build 7600
Video: NVidea GeForce 8800M GTX
Driver: 8:15:11:8585

Great shame, 'cos it's a great product. I would love to know when the issue is fixed.

Jonathon

Hunv 09-13-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathonberg (Post 263)
Great shame, 'cos it's a great product. I would love to know when the issue is fixed.

Jonathon

Yes, thats right...
I Need a thrid Port for connecting my TV to my PC, but until there are those kinds of Problems, I just can wait until the drivers are grown up.
So, at the Moment I have to test with my small 9" screen, if new drivers are better.

clmeadows 09-14-2009 09:09 PM

I am also experiencing degraded performance with Unreal Tournament 3 and the latest Catalyst 9.9 drivers. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1 (Build 7600). My primary display is a Dell 2407WFP and the secondary display is a nanovision Mimo. My graphics card is a XFX Radeon HD 4890.

Let me know if I can be of assistance in testing any new versions.

consolator69 09-21-2009 05:43 PM

Terrible FPS

Hi,

I have installed the driver linked by samsung "displaylink-5.1.20177_300709".

Normaly i can play with 70-100 FPS when i play "lord of the rings online".

After i have installed the driver for the u70 the FPS goes down to 1-5 FPS.

The only thing that helps was to deinstall the driver.

System:
Intel E6700
ATI 4870

Is there anything i can do to use the U70 with normal Framerates?
If not i will send it back.

Shagler 10-05-2009 04:40 PM

With the RC version now available, what is being done to have the DisplayLink driver NOT negatively impact graphics performance? I have just installed the RC version and I still get degraded graphics performance of my ATI 4870 Adapter....enough that I still cannot use the DisplayLink.

What can be done?

Hunv 10-06-2009 09:58 AM

The Problem still exists with the "RC". Tested with RollerCoasterTycoon3 and Need for Speed Underground (both are really old games if you compare it with the other reported games)

rys 10-12-2009 08:25 PM

Hello,

Having the same issue here.

Windows 7 RTM
Intel DP45SG Motherboard
4GB Crucial (Micron) Memory
ATI 4870 Video (Single Card)

All latest updates and drivers to date.
DisplayLink 5.2RC (5.2.21123)

Once I install DisplayLink 5.2RC, 3D performance on my main display degrades to an unplayable state. (Nothing displayed on the second display except a desktop extension, which shows wallpaper.)

If the DisplayLink 5.2RC drivers are removed, performance returns to previous benchmarks.

Game used during this test was Rockstar Games Grand Theft Auto IV (It also has a benchmark mode, wherein I get approximately 50fps @ 1680x1050 with the DisplayLink drivers uninstalled, and around 3 or 4 with the DisplayLink drivers installed.)

Note that the game is being displayed on my normal DVI video output from the ATI 4870 card, and no motion is being displayed on the device connected via DisplayLink. (MIMO 710S)

efd 10-14-2009 05:40 PM

Same issue, but even when playing any video file (mpeg, avi dvd). Secondary display is very slow (unworkable). When typing anything on secondary screen, screen one freezes.
Hope this is solved soon. Don't know exact details about the graphics cards, but it's an onboard one (Asus) with 256Mb memory. Running XP I never had any issue.

Gamer 10-15-2009 12:53 AM

I have the same problems - but on XP! Got my U70 today, and I'm already thinking about returning it (and going back to Logitech keyboards with displays).

After the driver that came with the U70 froze when trying to rotate, I decided to look for updates here and installed the latest RC (since it was said to also include improvements for non-Win7 systems).

Major edit: I discovered the problems all relate to this driver. No problems at all after I reinstalled the older 4.6 drivers from Samsung.

I don't know whether to be happy or sad - I'm planning to switch to Win7 next month, and this "RC" seems to be very far from a stable release...

Configuration (updated: somehow the U70 has now become secondary display): XP SP3, GTX 260, displays: 1) 24" digital, 2) 7" U70 USB, 3) 19" analogue,

freitasm 10-15-2009 07:36 AM

Yes, same here:

HP dv6 with ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650 1GB dedicated video memory.

It all works ok, but if I try running anything graphics intensive - a game for example such as Left 4 Dead then the frame rate drops considerably. Uninstalled the 5.2 RC driver and it's all back to normal.

Martin 10-17-2009 05:04 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry, I was away and then realised I hadn't subscribed to the thread. Anyway, end of excuses....

But another apology, for the delay in getting the fix to you guys! Our 5.2 product release is due out in a matter of days and that contains my fix (from 1st September!!) for this problem.

Best regards,
Martin.

Gamer 10-17-2009 06:29 PM

I couldn't care less anymore, my U70 is already on its way back to the dealer. But my system remains messed up from your crappy drivers - I cannot uninstall them even after hours of trying everything, and I still cannot watch videos anymore, nothing but flashing screen! I wonder how this affects the lifespan of the backlighting...

I tried installing the drivers on a completely different machine (ATI onboard graphics) - watching videos (we always talk about main screen here) worked there. But also here it was simply impossible to uninstall the drivers! This really proves it is not a configuration problem, it's simply incredibly bad programming.

I haven't experienced something like this since W98 - a driver that is obviously programmed in a way that it can never be removed again, a driver that might prevent your main video card from being recognised, and that disables video playback on your system, and that survives even system restore! And I really have lots and lots of devices, also exotic ones, believe me.

Using DisplayLink is a nightmare, I'll never touch it again. Thanks for all the wasted time. :mad:

An appropriate review (or better call it a "warning") will show up on Amazon soon.

rys 10-17-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamer (Post 473)
I couldn't care less anymore, my U70 is already on its way back to the dealer. But my system remains messed up from your crappy drivers - I cannot uninstall them even after hours of trying everything, and I still cannot watch videos anymore, nothing but flashing screen! I wonder how this affects the lifespan of the backlighting...

I tried installing the drivers on a completely different machine (ATI onboard graphics) - watching videos (we always talk about main screen here) worked there. But also here it was simply impossible to uninstall the drivers! This really proves it is not a configuration problem, it's simply incredibly bad programming.

I haven't experienced something like this since W98 - a driver that is obviously programmed in a way that it can never be removed again, a driver that might prevent your main video card from being recognised, and that disables video playback on your system, and that survives even system restore! And I really have lots and lots of devices, also exotic ones, believe me.

Using DisplayLink is a nightmare, I'll never touch it again. Thanks for all the wasted time. :mad:

An appropriate review (or better call it a "warning") will show up on Amazon soon.

Hi,

Had the same problem as you. You have to remove both DisplayLink Graphics and DisplayLink Core under Control Panel->Programs and Features.

Gamer 10-18-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rys (Post 475)
Hi,

Had the same problem as you. You have to remove both DisplayLink Graphics and DisplayLink Core under Control Panel->Programs and Features.

You think I did not try this in the 10+ hours I wasted day & night? Sorry, it's not your fault, but I'm really, really pissed...

DisplayLink Core is what cannot be uninstalled on either machine ("Still in use...", "Severe error..." even if everything else was removed - or seemed to be removed - there are still 3 additional monitors in Device Manager - try removing those and lose access to your video card!!). Two machines, totally different configurations, same error. This is just plain bad programming. Probably some hacks the customer has to pay the price for. :mad:

The only reason I'm still writing here is to help others to avoid this nightmare. As I said, I already returned the unit and will definitely never touch this so-called "technology" again.

Look at the FAQ... It states "There are some other solutions which are all inferior to DisplayLink..." Such arrogance really drives me mad. :mad:

rys 10-18-2009 07:29 AM

In fairness, the available software *IS* a beta.

I did not have any trouble uninstalling it (on Windows 7.)

Also, you can slam the U70 on your reviews, but remember that, again, you're using beta software, and second, that the DisplayLink USB video adapter drivers cover much more than just your Samsung U70 product.

Gamer 10-18-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rys (Post 481)
In fairness, the available software *IS* a beta.

You mean 4.6 - which came on the Samsung cd, see my other thread - is beta...? :rolleyes: Calling it beta would be exaggerated, it's more like a pre-alpha for internal testing - but declared "suitable for end user deployment" in the release notes...

freitasm 10-18-2009 10:26 PM

The documentation I got says it's not compatible with Windows 7. You read the documentation, right?

I did install the 5.2 RC on Windows 7 RTM and after finding it slowed down graphics I had no problems uninstalling it.

Gamer 10-19-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freitasm (Post 493)
The documentation I got says it's not compatible with Windows 7. You read the documentation, right?

I'm on XP. You read the threads you post in, right? :cool:

freitasm 10-19-2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamer (Post 496)

/me go back to the corner in shame...

rys 10-19-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamer (Post 496)

This is the 5.2 Software release forum, for discussing the beta, you know that right? :cool:

Gamer 10-20-2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rys (Post 518)
This is the 5.2 Software release forum, for discussing the beta, you know that right? :cool:

You might want to take a look around - this is simply the only open forum. :rolleyes: Apart from that, 5.2 was also among the versions I tried, and it is not just a Win7 driver, it should have brought "improvements" on other operating systems as well (read the readme)...

For the 4.6, I made a separate thread. I posted a reg key there which was supposed to help me get rid off the software - after a system restore didn't achieve that - but nothing so far.

rys 10-20-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamer (Post 525)
You might want to take a look around - this is simply the only open forum. :rolleyes: Apart from that, 5.2 was also among the versions I tried, and it is not just a Win7 driver, it should have brought "improvements" on other operating systems as well (read the readme)...

For the 4.6, I made a separate thread. I posted a reg key there which was supposed to help me get rid off the software - after a system restore didn't achieve that - but nothing so far.

No, I understand that this is the only forum. If you have a problem with the production release of the software, go ahead and contact whoever made your product and speak with them about it. (Samsung?)

Version 5.2 is whatever they want it to be. Whether you think it should bring improvements on other operating systems is irrelevant.

We get it, you're angry. If you're going to return your product and slam them on reviews, great. Go ahead and do that, then leave the forum so we can communicate with the developers on a more productive level.

Gamer 10-21-2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rys (Post 541)
...leave the forum so we can communicate with the developers on a more productive level.

I wasn't aware that you have some kind of authority here... :rolleyes: Anyway, thankfully the developers are communicating with me on a much more productive level than you are.

freitasm 10-24-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin (Post 469)
Hi guys,

Sorry, I was away and then realised I hadn't subscribed to the thread. Anyway, end of excuses....

But another apology, for the delay in getting the fix to you guys! Our 5.2 product release is due out in a matter of days and that contains my fix (from 1st September!!) for this problem.

Best regards,
Martin.

Martin, you say here that the production driver is on Windows Update. Does it include the fix for the graphics problem?

freitasm 10-24-2009 10:22 AM

I will answer myself. It seems the final release on Windows Update does fix the graphics issue. Just tested with L4D.

Also if you have removed the previous version you just need to plug the monitor and Windows 7 will automatically download the driver and software.

Brilliant!

Hunv 10-25-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freitasm (Post 568)
I will answer myself. It seems the final release on Windows Update does fix the graphics issue. Just tested with L4D.

Also if you have removed the previous version you just need to plug the monitor and Windows 7 will automatically download the driver and software.

Brilliant!

Your right!
Don't use the drivers, that are posted in this forum
Use the drivers Windows is using after you uninstalled the Beta-Drivers!

aurelius 11-13-2009 04:21 PM

acer notebook with ati x1100 and samsung u70

Hi there!

Yesterday, I tried to get my U70 work with an acer notebook that has Ati x1100 graphics (on win7 RC). Yes, it's a quite weak notebook, I know well. :)
Installed driver, got the cables plugged, and nothing happened. Restart, hit, kick, everything... I tried to search for some docs listing what graphics adapters are supported, but couldn't find.
I'm not quite sure, but as I see, in order to get it work, we have to use a little stronger graphics card. Am I right?
Don't misinterpret, I have no problem with it - apart from i can't use U70 with that laptop :). If it needs a more powerful graphics card to work correctly, so be it.
By the way, there's a fresh install of a Win7 Ultimate N on my desktop pc, and tonight I will test whether the graphics performance still degrades.
Will write the results back here :)

Greetings!

Edit1:
Nice job. Now, when i plugged the U70, Win7 quickly took your driver from windows update, installed, and without a reboot, it works perfectly! Real step ahead compared to a few months ago!
Supper, reboot, and try the games perf.

Edit2:
Monitors are set to turn off after 15 mins. Now when I came back, main display turned on, but the little (U70) did not. I could use it only after a reboot. It's a little bit annoying, but go on.

Edit3:
After a day, I can not get my smaller display (U70) work, only after unplug and replug the usb cable. It does not start even after login. Just shows it's powered off. Strange.

Xtreme3X 02-07-2010 01:23 PM

Just to check did the problem resolve? I just got myself a USB monitor (iMo Pivot Monitor). I'm using the latest driver (5.2.22663) and still having the same issue you guys having.

Any work around for this issue? I'm seriously in need of help, i got myself a new monitor that i can't use at all..

superfess 02-26-2010 05:22 PM

Hi
Tried with Windows Driver 5.2 M3 and also with Windows update driver on Windows 7 32bit but fallout crash when have to charge the 3d engine. (The usb mimo monitor is NOT attached)

Disinstalling the Displaylink software and all works fine except that the usb monitor don't work :rolleyes: (I need it to see videos when I work)