PDA

View Full Version : Does USB 3.0 Improve Performance?

MJedi
05-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Hello all,

I'm using a USB 2.0-based DVI adapter on Mavericks and it works fine, except for the mouse cursor not being as smooth when moving it around on the screen. No big deal. I figure it was the limitation of USB 2.0

I see that USB 3.0 display adapters are available. I'm wondering if these adapters improve display performance, and will the mouse cursor move smoother? All I've read is that it supports higher-resolution displays.

Thanks.

kenniki
05-19-2014, 02:12 PM
I don't think it will.
I run my DL USB 2 adapter on a 10 port hub with a load of other devices and it's just as fast as if I plugged it into a dedicated USB port with no other USB devices connected.
My guess is that DL doesn't nearly use up the bandwidth USB 2.0 provides.

BMT
05-20-2014, 04:33 PM
I ordered a USB 3 -> HDMI (DL-3500 based) device for home which should arrive some time next week, if no one else has responded by then I'll let you know how I get on with it.
I'm currently using a USB 2 -> HDMI (DL-165 based, I believe) device at work so I'll be able to compare it to that.

My Mac however, is a MacBookPro6,1 (Mid 2010) so only has USB 2 and you'll have to keep that in mind when I provide any results.

Most poor performance however is also due to the Mac DisplayLink drivers. If you're not already using them give the 2.2 Beta (http://displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php) drivers a try as they definitely improve performance.