PDA

View Full Version : Dock randomly moves from screen to screen

greenvomit8
05-13-2014, 07:09 AM
Am using the following:
MBP 13" Early 2011
OSX 10.9.2 (Mavericks)
27" Monitor connected via Mini display port to dvi adapter (primary monitor)
24" Monitor connected via Diamond BVU195 USB to DVI adapter.
Hence, using laptop screen and 2 external screens.
Displaylink 2.2 Beta

Seems to work ok but getting the occasional freeze for 10 to 15 seconds (not sure if related) and the Dock randomly moves from primary to the secondary screens. Workaround is to disconnect Diamond USB adapter and reconnect. Dock then goes back to the primary monitor. Would like to see this resolved in future updates.
Same issues experienced with DisplayLink 2.1
Thanks

itadmincrbc
05-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Yep. Mine does the same thing. Expected behavior and I'm not using the beta. Mine the arrangement changes randomly too.

greenvomit8
05-18-2014, 11:50 PM
Happy to hear that it's not just me.
Mine was working without issues until I upgraded from Mountain Lion to Mavericks.
I held off until the DisplayLink updates looked like they were suitable to use with Mavericks. It is bearable and thankfully there is a workaround. Hopefully it will will get sorted soon.

BMT
05-19-2014, 11:53 AM
The dock moving between screens is a Mavericks feature, rather than anything to do with DisplayLink.

Unless you mean it's completely random and happens even when you're not using the Mac of course, in which case it could be a DisplayLink issue (not one I have ever experienced).

Basically, the way it *should* work is if you put your mouse at the bottom of a screen, the dock will move to that monitor, if you do the same on another screen, it will move to that one, and so on; you'd experience exactly the same behaviour as this with multiple monitors plugged up via Mini DisplayPort, Thunderbolt, etc.

greenvomit8
06-13-2014, 05:22 AM
Oh, I see it's a feature of Mavericks.
Do you know if there is a way of disabling this feature so that the Dock stays on one screen?

greenvomit8
06-13-2014, 05:42 AM
Found a workaround from following forum:

http://superuser.com/questions/665004/how-do-you-prevent-the-dock-from-switching-monitors-in-osx-mavericks

Go to System Preferences > Mission Control, then deselect the option "Displays have separate Spaces"

Implication is that the Menu bar is also fixed to the same monitor.