PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting: Hardware Failure?

joehelton
03-24-2014, 02:23 PM
My USB to HDMI adapter stopped working about a week ago and I can't get it back. I need to use it on a Macbook Pro that is currently running OSX 10.8.5 but I have also tried it on on iMac running OSX 10.9.2. Both computers are using driver version 2.2.

The adapter worked fine for a month or two but then the micro-usb connector got pulled out while it was being used and now OSX does not detect the display when it is connected. The blue light on the adapter is on but the display is not found in System Preferences.

Is there something I can do to get it back or is the issue a hardware problem and I just need to replace the adapter? If I do need to replace the adapter, will it fail again if the USB cable gets disconnected while it is in use? I need to use the adapter once a week for around 4 hours at a time. The display setup I am using gets set up and torn down every week and the adapter will be connected, used for a few hours, and then disconnected. Will this kind of use cause the adapter to fail?

Thanks.

earle
03-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Hi Joe,

I had the exact same thing happen with a MultiView HIS II. It was working for about 4 months with out issues and then one day like you it stopped working. After a month on this forum and no closer to having anything working I sent the adapter in to the manufacture claiming it was defective they sent me a replacement (though it took a month) and all is good now.

knock on wood!

Earle

Carlo
03-26-2014, 09:12 AM
I had yesterday a similar problem. The device did not show a black screen but it was incredibly slow at rendering, which usually is a symptom of USB connection failures.
This was all sudden. For me it's easier to debug because we have so many devices lying around to try.

The story ended well because I have been forced to swap the unit for a USB3 one and I have to say the performance improvement on my 1920x1200 screen is noticeable. Probably because of the improved compression in our DL-3000 family more than the added bandwidth: the improvement is visible even with a USB 2 cable.

For this kind of sudden issues without any SW change the advice is to try a fresh driver installation, also on a Windows computer if you have access to one, and if the problem persists contact the manufacturer for a replacement.

It's a good idea to let us know in the forum or support contacts so we can inform the manufacturer of the problem.

Cheers,
Carlo