PDA

View Full Version : This fix worked for me on MBA 2012 mavericks

MR. Studz
02-03-2014, 03:47 AM
Hey all, this mavericks debacle is utter garbage, im sorry displaylink we know "its not your fault" yada yada, but for gods sakes none of us can work. Its unacceptable no matter who is to blame.

Would this situation ever have occurred, and if it did...lasted so long on windows? Hell no, it would have been fixed within weeks... remember that next time you are in the apple store, ready to pull the trigger on new hardware.

This is a direct result of the "amazing steve jobs" walled garden mentality.

Anyways

I have two offices one at home where i fortunately have two thunderbolt displays that run native off the thunderbolt port, and as an experiment i brought home my USB monitor from work to try and get it working with a TB display in hopes of finding a fix.

After fidgeting around here is what I discovered... you can "trick" the usb monitor into working properly.

I am using a MBA 2012 model 256 ssd, 8gb ram 2ghz processor.

2 x samsung 1080p monitors one connected via hdmi converter (moshi brand) one connected via displaylink usb, its an older model.

Now at work, i could get both samsung to "work" with one in native resolution the other in 1280 rez which was painful but better than one monitor. Whenever i tried to go full 1080p... black screen.

So i noticed when i brought home the monitor, plugging in the USB display BEFORE THE DISPLAY ON THE THUNDEROLT PORT would work full 1080p after fidgeting with the resolution settings at a slower refresh rate but whatevs, it was a clean picture.

So in short, if you are running a

DUAL MONITOR SETUP WITH ONE DISPLAY OFF THE TB PORT AND ONE OFF THE DISPLAYLINK USB

what you can try is this:

Update to v2.1 driver.

plug in your USB display SOLO, if it is blank dont worry...on the native display of your device press the "gather windows" button in the display preferences, both control panels will appear.

now switch resolutions on the displaylink device until you get a picture, even if it is non native resolution.

ok good, now plug in HDMI/DP monitor to the thunderbolt port.

ok good

now while holding option key down, select the "scaled" radio button from the display preference pane in settings, now choose the monitors native resolution.

BOOM IT WORKS.

AGAIN quick version....

make sure you plug in the USB display first solo and get a picture, of any kind, then the use the native port for the other monitor, then use the option key to go to native rez.

Sometimes i have to redo this shuffle after a reboot but in my case, bunt at least i got my monitors back!!!!

IN 2014 DISPLAY TECHNOLOGY SHOULD BE MASTERED, INEXCUSABLE

itadmincrbc
02-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Dude I gave up on this mickey mouse crap 2 months ago and decided that the only way to make this work was to use the displayport connector for the second monitor, completely defeating the pupose of having a 2 cable disconnect dock. Now I have 3 cables i have to disconnect to remove the laptop.

alphadog
02-05-2014, 05:30 PM
I think a lot of the issues have to do with the displaylink hardware (what brand and what chipset) - I have the Toshiba Dynadock, and it will drive 2 displays no problem, but I have some issues. So I have one display hooked to dynadock via HDMI, and the other display connected to the minidisplayport via a DVI dongle. My setup works flawless (almost) between sleep, removal, and reboots - but only because Displaylink is only driving one monitor. The only issue s that the display link menu bar icons are not always correct.

But I agree that the drivers definitely need some work; but it would also help if the manufacturers of Displaylink stuff adhered to some minimum technical standard.