PDA

View Full Version : Does Mountain Lion work okay?

smutek
11-16-2013, 04:37 AM
Based on everything I've read, versions of Mountain Lion, 10.8.5 and above, seem to be working fine.

I've started another thread with my issues, but the short of it is that I just bought my first display link device this week. It worked perfectly for 3 days, then inexplicably stopped working tonight.

As much of a PITA as it is to do, I'm about to do a wipe and fresh install to downgrade from Mavericks back to Mountain Lion. Having a second display connected to my MBP has been that amazingly useful that I am just going to buck up and do it. I think I'd much rather be w/o Mavericks than to be without the extra display. Once everything is sorted out I'll make the jump back up to Mavericks.

I'm running backups now via CCC - but before I tai the plunge with this I just wanted to make sure that display link is working pretty well under Mountain Lion. I am only running one display link monitor, the other is connected via thunderbolt.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

smutek
11-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Well, that's a big negative.

Did a complete system wipe this afternoon, installed 2.1 drivers on a fresh Mountain Lion install (10.8.5) and no dice. My DisplayLink monitor worked for about ten minutes, then back to the black screen. Tried uninstall and reinstall, no dice, then tried 2.0 drivers as well.

Nothing.

Wasted a pretty good amount of time, money and energy at this point and I think I'm just going to send this adapter back

:(

smutek
11-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Okay, well, I just reinstalled the 2.1 driver and repaired permissions and now the display is working again.

here's hoping it lasts longer than ten minutes this time.

Really man, I'm not at all sure if this is worth the headache it's been so far. Hopefully this will stick. If not, then I'll have to just chalk this entire endeavor up as an aggravating, time consuming experience.

:cool:

smutek
11-17-2013, 02:01 AM
Shit city with this thing for me under both Mavericks and Mountain Lion.

Once again, no longer working on Mountain Lion. Lasted about ten minutes, fans kicked up on my laptop, and the display goes out.

Throwing in the towel on this and will be returning my unit. I know this is working for some people but I'm going to have to suggest to anyone who asks to not waste your time and money on a displaylink device.

It was great for the three days that it worked but definitely not worth the headache I've put myself through trying to get it working again.

mbechdel@gmail.com
11-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Sorry to hear that smutek :(

But please, close the parenthesis in you signature :)

smutek
11-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Sorry to hear that smutek :(

But please, close the parenthesis in you signature :)

Funny, all the crap that I went through with this display link device and the one response I get is asking me to close the parenthesis in my signature....

Done. :cool:

Criscoso
12-10-2013, 09:34 AM
The best driver for ML is 1.8, at least on my system.

I have a MacBook Pro 17 unibody 2009 with 8Gb of RAM and Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion).

Both, 2.0 and 2.1 drivers, have a high CPU usage (40-50% in some situations) and a "drag&drop sticky" bug that can only be corrected if you put the mac to sleep and wake it up after a system boot.

I don't know why Mac drivers have these problems, the Windows drivers work much better (running Windows XP or 7 natively on bootcamp), they almost have no artifacts and they run much more smoother and with a lower cpu usage.