PDA

View Full Version : DisplayLink Adapter Kills Java under Mountain Lion

Stephen
10-29-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm one of those people that occasionally require Java for various things, when I launch a Java based SSL VPN, it fails to fully connected when I am connected to the DisplayLink enabled monitor.

If I launch the Java PreferencePane, it crashes.

Unfortunately my ability to work is now being affected by the quality of the drivers for this device. Previously I was able to deal with a missing login box, screen artifacts, and other problems.

I now have no choice but to unplug this adapter and work without my main monitor.

Carlo
10-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Hi Stephen,

Is the problem happening only when the USB connected screen is the main screen (the one with the menu bar)? There are some applications that check only the primary screen for acceleration capabilities and then try to apply them to all screens with unpleasant results.
We'll try to reproduce.

Cheers
Carlo

Stephen
10-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Yes that appears to be the case, when I have my laptop as the main screen the problem doesn't occur.

Also it appears to improve the performance of LaunchPad if something other than the USB enabled screen is the main screen.

Is this something your update driver will be able to fix or does there have to be software defects raised against the creators of each software package that does this?

Thanks

Carlo
10-31-2012, 07:39 AM
Is this something your update driver will be able to fix or does there have to be software defects raised against the creators of each software package that does this?

Usually it's an application issue and we tend to contact the developer. In this case it could be a Java issue which would make everything more complicated and important of course.
However there are some things we can influence so we usually compare the behaviour across applications and products to check if it's an issue specific to us.

In any case, the developer is best placed to provide detailed debug information.

Cheers,
Carlo